• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3200+ Venice 2.4Ghz/Corsair Xpert 1GB Kit and OVERCLOCKING!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

apopilot

Registered
First of all does anyone have this MEMORY Kit. I would like to purchase another 1GB and put it under the actuall XPERT modules. The PDF on there site for this shows another set of 1GB memory below it.

http://corsair.com/corsair/products...1024-3200XL.pdf

I have currently overclocked to 2.4 Ghz. However, I am a overclocking rookie. What I have done is the following.

1.) I increased the FSB to 240 Mhz.
2.) I increased teh VDIMM (Memory voltage) to 2.75.
3.) I also increased the timings from 2-2-2-5 to 2.5-3-3-5. Why I did this and why I chose these number I dont know. I hope someone can explain the relationship between voltage and latency? And why do we need to go higher when we overclock higher?

My CPU temps are 32C IDLE. Is this ok? I have Thermaltakes Water cooling kit.

4.) The main question is I have never adjusted the VCORE which is set as AUTO in the BIOS. The Vcore at stock speed on my 3200 Venice is around 1.38V. Now Asus proble is reporting 1.472V. Is this ok? When does it get dangerous?

5.) I have left the memory at 400 mhz. I have heard so many people discuss Memory ratios. If I am am at 2.4Ghz now with a 240FSb I am assuming I am running the memory at DDR480? Can someone give me a simple mathatical example.

6.) I believe the HTT is the FSB. I have 5 settings in my BIOS. 1x,2x,3x,4x,5x and AUTO. I have left it on auto. Can someone explain when I would adjust this?

7.) How long should I run PRIME95?
8.) How long should I run MEMTEST86? How many passes?

Thanks,

Last edited:
First off, :welcome:

Ok, looks like you have a good start.

The higher you run your memory, the looser (higher) you need to run your latency. Just take the htt and multiply it by 2, and you get DDRxxx. You could always bump up you VDIMM higher, like 2.85, to try and get more speed out of the ram.

Try and keep your processor under 50c LOAD. Run prime95, or SP2004 (same thing but with a nicer interface). That will give you the load temp, and test if you are stable.

Yep, HTT is like the FSB

The 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x settings are ht, not htt. use 5x if your htt is 200 or less, 4x is it is between 201 and 250, 3x if it is 250 or greater. You want the ht times the htt below 1000. e.x. 280x3=840, or 250x4=1000.

To test stability, run prime for 12 hours. Also, for a quick test to see if it is stable, try and run SuperPI.

You can run memtest before you boot windows to make sure your memory can handle the speeds. I normally run 3-4 passes before I boot in after a major htt change.

Hope this helps :)

As far as core voltage goes seti it to 1.4V in the Bios and see how far you can go.
Test stability, and if its stable add a few more Mhz on the FSB. After that you can up it to 1.5V for further overclocking. You sould get higher OC if you set higher voltage, but watch your temps, and dont go too high with it. Its odd that mobo automatically adjusts voltage when you OC.
For the memory - if you use more relaxed timings ( 2.5,3,3,10 ) your memory will top on much higher frequency allowing you to get most out of your CPU.
You will be loosing couple of percents performance because of relaxed timings but you will get much greater boost because of higher memory frequency thus greater memory bandwidth. Higher voltage should help you squeeze few more Mhz out of your memory, but I suspect that is TCCD memory you have so I wont advise going higher than 2.8V.
5) dont use memory dividers, use 1:1 because youve got memory that can handle preety high frequency so why not use it, and yes if you are running at 240Mhz FSB than your memory is at 480Mhz because it is double data rate ( effectivly 480Mhz ).
6) what you are looking at is HHT multiplier, boards are designed to run at 1000Mhz
HTT and since w/o OCing your system clock is 200Mhz it needs 5x multi on HTT to run
at 1Ghz. If you are shooting at high FSB you should lower this so the speed of HTT wont be bottlenecking your OC.
7) You should run Prime95 for 24 hours if you want to see if your rig is stable.
8) I would suggest one pass only and then booting into windows runnng superPi 32M, few loops of 3dmark and then prime95.

edit: hehe Superjed beat me by 3min while I was typing :)

Hamm3r said:
edit: hehe Superjed beat me by 3min while I was typing :)

lol. I was expecting like 45 replies before i got done typing mine :p

Oh, and apopilot, I wouldnt go above ~1.6 on the Vcore. Im curious what you cant get to with 1.4v as well.

Keep us posted!

Thanks.

1.) Currently with 2 hours of PRIME95 my temps are 28C at 2.4Ghz.

2.) My ASUS motherboard seems to be adjusting the VCORE automatically. Its now at 1.48. The 1x,2x,3x,4x,5x,AUTO setting for the HTT is in the AUTO mode. I am assuming its ajusting it automatically.

3.) So what your basically telling me is that my CORSAIR memory can match the speed of my HTTD(FSB) with no problem. If I am at 240 for the FSB the memory is at 240.

How does this happen. The memory is rated at DDR400 with 2-2-2-5 timings?

4.) What does TCCD stand for.

5.) How do I know the theoretical limit of my memory?

6.) Can overclocking the system damage the CPU and MEmory if my system is stable let say at 2.4GHZ. I just want to know what is physically happening during the overclocking process so I learn more.

Thanks alot!!! Appreciate the replies

When you bump up the HTT, it is OC'ing the CPU and the ram. If you had your memory 1:1 with a HTT of 240, the ram would be 240. Yes the ram might be rated at DDR400, but you can overclock it as well (faster speeds, tighter timings). My DDR400 ram does DDR500 pretty easily. People get DDR400 ram up to DDR600 speeds somtimes!

Al long as you keep the temps down, you shouldnt have to worry about damage.

Currently I have my system running at 2.5GHZ. The FSB is set to 250. Memory is at 1:1.

1.) My idle temps are 34C for the CPU and 36C for the MB. Is this good?

2.) I also have the memory timings set for 2.5-3-3-7. Is this good? What other timings can I try?

3.) Memtest gives me three errors on 3 passes. Is this good or bad?

1. What about load temp? 34c sounds about right.

2 and 3. The tighter the timings the better. Just mess with them until they dont give you memtest errors. You can increase the voltage on the memory if you have not already.

Voltage is at 2.80. What would you do for the next step in timings. Is there a chart somewhere on the web that can help?

Try 2.5-3-3-8 or 2.5-3-3-9.

If that doesnt work, then try 2.5-4-4-7, ect until you dont get errors.

Ok Thanks. Will a mere mortal human being like me tell the difference between 2-2-2-5 and 2.5-4-4-7?

Not really... Mabey a few numbers im benches, but nothing to write home about. You probubly wont notice it in windows, with regular use.

Look at it this way, if it lets you getter higher clocks out of the CPU then it is worth it.

Back