• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water cooling a dfi nf4-sli-dr

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jkresh

dfi nf4 and chipset coolers?

In the next month or so will be building a watercooled setup with a nf4-slidr
Probably x24400, 7800gtx (or gt depending on performance). My question for the moment is with the location of the chipset on this board compared to the 1st pcie 16 slot will watercooling the chipset be a problem?

The latest video cards are just so darn long these days, its damn tough to find a chipset block that will work on most boards (and at least be worthwhile).

Jas: as long as there is water flowing through the block on the NB it should be worthwhile if you look at how pathetic the stock northbridge coolers at to begin with. Water should be sufficient in any case even if its a bad block. Just my $.02

This true, Although I personally think replacing the crappy stock cooler with a better air solution is a better idea than itroducing a very restrictive component to your loop.

What gets me, is how half A$$ed manufatures apply TIM to a NB or SB. Its just sad...

Heck my current board, The TIM only coverd like 1/3 of the chip and it was off centered in the upper right corner of the chip...

Half the time yuo can get better coolign just by using some AS and getting rid of that crapp install the manufacturer did.

I've got one and its not too restrictive at all. I generally idle at around 32C and its never gone over 50C. Best of all I've got rid of the noisy chipset fan. Here's a link to the where I got it an Italian shop showing the insides. I'm in the UK by the way :)
Lunaforce L4E

Man that just barely clears the card. Probably be kinda tough to get a hold of one of those blocks here in the states I woudl think.

why are you pumpiung hot water across the cpu? a vid card gets a lot hotter than a cpu so i feal you should be pumping the water across the cpu than the vid card. and is that pc even up and running because i only see 1 ata cable and 1 floppy cable hooked up

This is a very common misconception about water cooling. It honestly makes no difference. temperature variances frmo different cmponent orders are on the order of being neglidgable.

looks like the Lunaforce goes for about $70 Us including shipping and VAT, the other one is a bit more expensive. Does anyone feel that 70+ is worth it for a chipset cooler?

Back