• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

car subwoofers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crb806

i like the sub i got with my sound system for my pc and i was thinking about putting two 12" in my car. could anyone reccommend a certain brand or certain ones, i was thinking about audiobahn

Audiobahn tends to be cheap, cheap tends to be Sh..bad.

Get 2 nice big 350litre+ 12"inchers by either Candence or Pioneer. Look to spend $250+ per sub+enclosure.

I work at a carstereo shop, from what i've installed, good mainstream brands seem to be Memphis, OZ, JL. decent ones are kicker, alpine, pioneer, ect. For a beginner system, i always recommend the Memphis PR in a ported box, shouldn't be more then 100 per sub and has a decent mix of quality and loudness. audiobahns are just loud and not that great sounding, unless you're looking into the higher end linear compressions, they're pretty impressive, but kind of costly.
If i were you, i'd get one really good sub over two cheap subs, people tend to think quantity is better, but its not. what kind of budget do you have for this setup?

If you're looking for quality. JL / Phoenix Gold... The Xenons are really nice, I have one in a home audio setup because of how tight it is.

RobxMcCarthy said:
If you're looking for quality. JL / Phoenix Gold... The Xenons are really nice, I have one in a home audio setup because of how tight it is.

xenons are nice, so is JL, i've got on in my room, but they are rather expensive for what you get. if you're willing to spend that much, i'd rather go with something from Adire, RE, or DigitalDesigns.

with a mere $400 you could get something like this..
9515-3.jpg

:D :D :D

Heh i'm liking that sub korndog. As you said before pioneer is mid range and arn't to expensive. Best off looking for some midrange subs instead of 2 or 3 crappy ones.

Whats your opinions on Power Acoustik? I have one of their subs 10" in a ported box of my own.. and it does rather nicely for my needs.. just a lower reinforcement in my car.. and still gets down to 30 hz pretty nicely.

they're decent, sound okey, but u can definitly find something better for the money. power acoustik used to make some really nice stuff, but like every company nowadays, they went overseas, got bought out by another company, and it killed their quality.

I've always heard great things or nearly nothing about Blaupunkt; thoughts on them?

Korndog is that a 9515?

I have a DD3515 with soundsteam 1400.1. Tune to 48hz for Competition and 35hz for daily. :D Its freakin loud with music too, not just burps! And who says DD don't sound good cause they do. :)

Don't forget about Elemental Design pretty good for non-mainstream up there with RE and Adire. Quality stuff.

I have 2 JL-10W7's they sound spectacular. But like stated before EXTREMELY expensive. I paid 700+ for my pair, and that was a pretty good deal. Oh yeah, and DO NOT let them talk you ino buying a CAP. They are worthless. Unless of course you want one, go right on ahead, I plan on using one when I get my new car, but purely for asthetic purposes.

Read the carsound.com forums, and richard clarks section, you will learn a lot.

JoT said:
I've always heard great things or nearly nothing about Blaupunkt; thoughts on them?
sorry man, they're not that great..
although you can find some decent package deals for them sometimes, i guess its better then going with something like pyramid or legacy, lol

Camacho111 said:
Korndog is that a 9515?

I have a DD3515 with soundsteam 1400.1. Tune to 48hz for Competition and 35hz for daily. :D Its freakin loud with music too, not just burps! And who says DD don't sound good cause they do. :)

Don't forget about Elemental Design pretty good for non-mainstream up there with RE and Adire. Quality stuff.

yes sirry. u have a dd3515?? :cough: i hate you :cough: :D, j/k i'm saving up for a 9515 or 3515. gonna put it in a large 5cuft box and make my ears bleed. DD sound DAMN good, as far as i'm concerned they ARE SQ subs (the spl is a side effect :D)

Yup. Cost a lot for 1 sub.

Now if you have 2400watts or more, the 95 is the way to go. now if you have less power- the 35 is louder with less power. by 1db in SPL apps. Now applying 2400+ you should gain 2db over the 35.

hm.. i have about 600w.. lol! now that i think about it, i'm going with an RE 15" SX because it works perfect in my current box (to lazy to build another 5-6cuft box) i'm looking for SQL, so i think it'll be enough for me. i don't think my poor little jetta could handle 2400w.. u got pics of ur ride man?

i'm still trying to figure out why W7 cost ~500-700 a piece. i installed a bunch of w6 and w7, made a few custom boxes (people seem to like the JL wedge box though). great subs, but overpriced imho. An image dynamic idmax soulds just as good and is just as loud, that or the high end OZ audio subs all sound relativly the same.
OOO Ascendant has a sale on their avalanche subwoofers, great SQL subs, 200 for a 12", 225 for a 15" and 250 for a 18". best bang for your buck, imho, i might get a 15" if i don't win the auction for the DD on ebay.

What is the loudest and best sounding sub ever? Something with ALOT of wattage. I was looking at a 5000 watt rms sub. I want to get 2 of them for my truck so I have 10,000 watts of rms power. I think they're 10,000 watts peak per sub. Cost is not an issue.

apu318 said:
What is the loudest and best sounding sub ever? Something with ALOT of wattage. I was looking at a 5000 watt rms sub. I want to get 2 of them for my truck so I have 10,000 watts of rms power. I think they're 10,000 watts peak per sub. Cost is not an issue.

i see.. well, you could consider the DD9515 or 9517, MMats juggernut, Orion H2, RE MT, or the new adire tumult. i'm sure they can all do 5000wrms burps. but now u say truck, how much room do u have to spare? these subs need large boxes or its a waste.

I doubt your going to find a 5000 watt RMS sub, but good luck. I would reccomend just going with some of the measly 1-1500 watt rms subs korndog recomended :). IF you have an extended cab, you could take out the back seats, if not your only other option would be a cut through, which most people will not do. Another thing, I hope you plan on upgrading your electrical system if you plan on running that much power. You should see about getting a dual Alternator setup, one just for your audio. It would help if you listed what kind of truck you have, what amps you plan on using, etc.

More watts does not nessecarily equal a louder system. There are a lot of variables to factor in when determining how loud a setup will be, cabin gain, box design, tuning frequency, displacement, the drivers themselves, etc etc. Bottom line is SPL = how much air your subs will move.

I still haven't seen where the original poster gave a budget, that would help point you in the right direction.

Korndog: W7's are priced because JL knows people will buy them at that price. They make a pretty penny off of them, I assure you. They are great subs, but you're right in saying there are other subs close to/or better for less money.

As for the electrical system upgrades, it's never a bad idea with ANY audio system, but it varies from car to car wether it's absolutely nessecary. For example my old car barely handled a 600w amp, while my new car has been going for over a year with nearly 1500w RMS for the subs, and another 300w RMS on my front stage amp for my components.

Back