• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Don't you love Microsoft?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gustav

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000143050582/

Wow...that’s gona suck. If you recently bought a new monitor that doesn't support this new protocol and are planning on upgrading to longhorn when it is supposed to come out fall 2006, I feel sorry for you. If you planned on getting a new monitor soon, I'd hold off for a while. I've been wanting to get a new monitor - possibly LCD - but I think I'll hold off now until I can be sure I get one that supports this new protocol so I'm not screwed when/if I upgrade to longhorn. I've also heard longhorn is going to require at least 512MB of ram. Guess that tells you how much of a resource hog its going to be. Don't you love Microsoft? :bang head :mad: :temper:

I did a quick search to see if something similar to this was already posted but didn't find anything. If there is, my apologies.

Reasons like this are why I will never touch Longhorn with a barge pole. Not in a million years.

Fair use is dead, long live restricted use?

hah, agreed, and I am sure someone will come out with a hack for it that will get around that "protocol" and let you use whatever you want.

This was posted in alternitive OS. It should still be here though. Got to spread the word. This **** is why I will no longer be defending microsoft.

Sound pretty fishy. It doesn't make sense for microsoft to limit their market for longhorn upgrades. If this article is accurate there will be very few who would upgrade to longhorn as almost no one has a compatible monitor. My bet is this will be disbled or an optional feature.

Showstoppermd said:
Sound pretty fishy. It doesn't make sense for microsoft to limit their market for longhorn upgrades. If this article is accurate there will be very few who would upgrade to longhorn as almost no one has a compatible monitor. My bet is this will be disbled or an optional feature.

It will only matter for protected content not for general computing.

It will only matter for protected content not for general computing

Well thats slightly better. Still, IMHO, any company or individual who gets wind of this "benefit" of longhorn would probably opt not to upgrade.

Corporations, companies, schools, etc will probably not upgrade for a while anyway because of the hardware requirements. I know my school just got XP on all the machines a couple years ago. Probably 2-3 years after it was released.

wow what BS
tho im sure someone will comeout w/a hack to disable this if microsoft stay's w/this plan

Planned obsolescence is a very old corporate trick to get us all to buy something new. While many of us try to resist, sooner or later we are left with no choice as it's the only upgrade path. How many of us had to buy new software or new hardware as a result of XP? This is bigger than MS as has been pointed out as the digital HDTV revolution is in full swing and there will soon be no analog left alive. Is it progress? Well, yes and no. Better pictures on our TV’s and monitors. Less money in our wallets and millions of old TV’s and monitors with all there toxic substances in landfills all over the world. That’s an even scarier thought than another OS from those wonderful folks at Microsoft.
Dang, I need a drink….make that a double! At least my empty bottle can get recycled...:)

Well this isn't so much of a complaint about a crappy OS which is to be expected. Its that all those things will be caused by this and the TV industry. I mean its great to get a better picture and all, thats fine. But is this protocol really necessary? Why can't it be backward compatible, still allow people with older monitors to view the content but with the old quality level and for those with the monitors that support it, they get the hi-def version. Or something like that...Its just going to be a major inconvienence for people who just dumped a lot of money into a new monitor and force everyone who can't afford one to upgrade.

rseven said:
Planned obsolescence is a very old corporate trick to get us all to buy something new. While many of us try to resist, sooner or later we are left with no choice as it's the only upgrade path. How many of us had to buy new software or new hardware as a result of XP? This is bigger than MS as has been pointed out as the digital HDTV revolution is in full swing and there will soon be no analog left alive. Is it progress? Well, yes and no. Better pictures on our TV’s and monitors. Less money in our wallets and millions of old TV’s and monitors with all there toxic substances in landfills all over the world. That’s an even scarier thought than another OS from those wonderful folks at Microsoft.
Dang, I need a drink….make that a double! At least my empty bottle can get recycled...:)

LOL excellent point rseven! Yeah, it all sucks like that, corperate jackasses. I can't believe the people of america really don't have control over this stuff, democracy needs some tweaks dude. (yeah I'm an American and take it for granted, so shoot me)

jcw122 said:
LOL excellent point rseven! Yeah, it all sucks like that, corperate jackasses. I can't believe the people of america really don't have control over this stuff, democracy needs some tweaks dude. (yeah I'm an American and take it for granted, so shoot me)
Thanks, pal. Gey the only shooting I'm goona do is from a shot glass. ere's looking at you! :bday:

Common guys, did CSS encryption stop people copying DVDs?

Just don't use the MS media player. I'm sure there will be a million ways around it.

This isn't just for the windows media player, this is a whole new protocol which will replace the current one for sending information to the monitor. If you monitor does not support this new protocol, it won't matter what media player you use because this involves the process of sending data to the monitor

No, you will be able to watch it, assuming that it works properly. I am very mad about this. I don't see this as something to protect people from piracy, I see this as either a marketing ploy or technocommunism. Another way for a corperate giant with a monopoly to gain power and money. Disgusting. This **** is going to far.

I don't think he would be because any digital media will be encoded based upon how the creator wants it to be. They will either decide if it won't be shown, will show at a small size, or if it can be shown normally I think. Either way I don't see how it will stop piracy, like apu318 said its just a way for them to have more power and force us to do what they want.

Back