• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

connection help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Camacho111

I recently had a lightin storm at home and since then I haven't been able to connect to my router. I have three other computers on the same network and they seem to be just fine.

This computer is a MSI mobo with a realtek 8110 chip intergraded LAN. I tried to reinstall its drivers, reset bios and even manually config the connection but no go. Also I put into another slot on the same router and still. I even went as far as reinstall WINXP.

When going into the status it say connected but with a "automatic private address" I've too assigned my normal IP with is 192.168.10.5. Even so I've reset my router to factory settings. The funny thing is it recieved small packets but never sends.

Any insight would appreciated!

Have you tried using a different ethernet cable? Perhaps it was damaged in the lightning storm (not likely I know but it's an easy thing to check and rule out...)

Labotomy Jack said:
Have you tried using a different ethernet cable? Perhaps it was damaged in the lightning storm (not likely I know but it's an easy thing to check and rule out...)

Thanks!

Indeed I have tried this computer on a different line, slot and didn't work.

I'm beginning to think my mobo just crap its LAN. Maybe a RMA is in order.

BTW This is the only computer leg of network wiring that is exposed to the elements. :shrug:

Just to rule things out, you may want to try putting an actual network card into the machine to see if that fixes the problem. Do any of your other machines have non-integrated NIC's that you could borrow for a bit?

WillysNut said:
Just to rule things out, you may want to try putting an actual network card into the machine to see if that fixes the problem. Do any of your other machines have non-integrated NIC's that you could borrow for a bit?

Now this is something I need to try. I do have a 10base card lying around, and I will give it a try tonight.

On a side note, Do IRQ have anything to do with it? I notice at boot USB ports and intergraded LAN share the same IRQ. But in Windows they are different assignments. I tried to change some values, no change.

I did a little googling* on "automatic private address" as I was unfamiliar with the term and am curious what you get when you run ipconfig -all? It was unclear from your original post if you had assigned a static IP or not. If you don't have a static IP set what happens when you run ipconfig -renew, after ipconfig -release?

Camacho111 said:
Now this is something I need to try. I do have a 10base card lying around, and I will give it a try tonight.

On a side note, Do IRQ have anything to do with it? I notice at boot USB ports and intergraded LAN share the same IRQ. But in Windows they are different assignments. I tried to change some values, no change.

I would definitely try that NIC (be sure to get the latest drivers). As for your concerns on IRQ's, while my understanding is limited I don't think it should matter that the two devices share in IRQ number, I believe that is normal.

* "Key Concept: An optional DHCP feature called Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) was developed to allow clients to still be able to communicate in the event that they are unable to obtain an IP address from a DHCP server. When enabled, the client chooses a random address from a special reserved block of private IP addresses, and checks to make sure the address is not already in use by another device. It continues to check for a DHCP server periodically until it is able to find one." That is windows will generally assign a 169.254.xxx.xxx address to an adapter if it is unable to obtain on through DHCP. Assuming everything else is in order then you most likely won't be able to communicate with your router. Of course if everything else is in order you should be able to get an address through DHCP...

Hvae you tried plugging in the known working cable into a different port on the router? Maybe something on the router crapped out. Best way to know if it is an issue with the PC or the line/router port, is to put a known working PC on the line/port at issue. If the working PC connects, that narrows it down..

Camacho111 said:
BTW This is the only computer leg of network wiring that is exposed to the elements. :shrug:

are you saying this cable is ran somewhere like outside? if so it could have gotten wet, and the water soaked through its jacket and can be causing problems. ive had a few problems like this (WISP installs, running cat5 up someones antenna tower to the antenna and the equipment up there) where water gets in the cable (which isnt rated for outdoor use :bang head and runs down the inside of the cable, and gets in the connector and corrodes it ll up. is it an option to move the comp by the router and use a small patch cable to connect? im guessing that it's either the cable or the onboard LAN of the comp. cables can pick up a magnetic wave given off by nearby lightning, which can be powerful enough to damage some of the equipment. network equipment (motherboards included) should have an opto-isolator to prevent damage to the rest of the board if something does happen to the network cable, and while the rest of the board will work, the network port can be partially or completely dead. try the card and a different cable, and hopefully you'll find out where the problem is.

have you tried testing the cable? replace it or use it with known good pieces of hardware on both ends. by replace i mean use a different temporary cable to see if it works again.

yes, I tried another wires and slots. Still no worky!

Last night I spend awhile on MSI Forums boards too with identical problems. Other users with exact same problem had no success or even follow ups.

I gonna see if I can RMA this board. I think the lightstorm was just a fluke and had no affect on the mobo. We'll see!

Thanks for all you time guys.

Anyone wanna recommend a S754 mobo with a budget under 100bones?

i personally own an asrock K8 combo-Z, its both 754 and 939, has 3 pcis and an agp, onboard sata. it has some clock options, has my 754 2800 runnin 243 mhz fsb or whatever the speed is called on these.

i dunno if i should really reccomend it, but it works and has the possibility to upgrade to a 939 later without a new board.

Back