• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ethernet Cable Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darksparkz

I've read through the stickies about networking and I don't quite understand which cables are the best to use. I have a DSL connection with a wireless router. My main computer has a ethernet connection to the router, and the router has another ethernet connection to the DSL modem. What types of eternet cables should I use for best performance?

Currently, my computer is connected to the router via CAT6, and the router is connected to the DSL modem via CAT5e, it doesn't specify for crossover or straight wired. There have been a few problems with it, such as every once in a while, my SBC browser doesn't open up, but IE works fine.

Anyone care explaining the different types of ethernet cables? Whether it's 5e or 6, crossover or straight wired?

Cat 5e is more than adequate for this purpose.

Higher numbers are appropriate if you are doing file transfers at gigabit speed, but normal networking is Cat5.

Crossover cables are only used to directly connect 2 computers to each other without a switch/hub/router between them.

Well for starters crossover is essentially for going pc to pc.

Someone else can probably give you the details but cat6 is essentially alllows for higher bandwidth. I believe if your network is all 10/100 either will do fine. Most of the people on the boards here recommend cat6 for future compatability. I'm not sure though if cat5 can handle gigabit ethernet... [edit:nm, beaten to it :)]

In any case, the problems you're describing don't sound like a cable problem (though it is possible to get bad/damaged cables, so I guess it can't hurt to swap out to see if the problem persists). By SBC Browser I'm assuming you mean either your router or modem's home page? Have you tried updating the firmware?

Yeah, the SBC browser is the DSL modem homepage. I'll try switching new cables to see if it makes a difference. for the browser.

The max speeds range from 1.5Mbps-3.0Mbps for downstream speed (at least that's what they tell me). So I should use CAT5e straight through cables for everything, i.e. computer to router, router to DSL? If I use CAT6, would it have performance increases?

darksparkz said:
The max speeds range from 1.5Mbps-3.0Mbps for downstream speed (at least that's what they tell me). So I should use CAT5e straight through cables for everything, i.e. computer to router, router to DSL? If I use CAT6, would it have performance increases?

Cat6 would be overkill for you. If you had two computers you were sharing files with and both had gigabit NICs then you would want cat6*, but where you are basically limited to the speeds you're getting externally, 1.5-3.0Mbps, cat5e which can handle up to 100Mbps is plenty fine.

* well, ok a cat6 crossover

You shouldn't need anything over cat5 for normal home networking. Cat5 is approved for 10/100base-tx speeds up to 100m, while Cat5e is approved for 1000base-t up to 100m. Cat6 is similair for Cat5e as it supports 1000base-t and up to 100m. It's much more expensive than cat5e though, so unless you were doing gigabit or future-proofing for gigabit I would't reccomend it.

Note that from your modem to the router is usually only a 10mps connection while your computers are connected to the router at 10/100mps. This is why most any cat5 patch cable will do.

Straight patch cables are used for just about everything, computer, routers, switches, hubs, etc. Crossover cables have 2 pairs of wires switched and is only used for connected 2 computer together without a hub or etc.

crossover=similar devices (pc to pc, switch to switch)

patch=different devices (pc to switch)

there is a simple explination of the differences. its an easy way to remeber what kinda cable to use :)

Back