• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mct-40….why is it not more popular?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hyperasus

It’s amazing to me that this stuff isn’t more popular. Am I missing something? I changed over to this stuff and my temps didn’t go down. It takes care of the corrosion, algae and conductivity problem all at the same time. How people can stand to change out the water every 6 months I don’t know. I just find it interesting it’s not used by more people. Makes me wonder if there is some catch I don’t know about.

Well, since distilled water is only a buck per gallon, and I can get more in 5 minutes, do the math.

Glad it's working out for you (really I am), but my system holds just over 2.5 US Gallons....$219.90+ could buy me a nice Gig of ram :)

Last edited:
Diggrr said:
Well, since distilled water is only a buck per gallon, and I can get more in 5 minutes, do the math.

Glad it's working out for you (really I am), but my system holds just over 2.5 US Gallons....

Wow that's alot of water to me, my setup uses like 1/4 US gallon.

Yes I know how every talks about how cheap distilled water is yet in real life they all spend money on anti algae and anti corrosive additives. I realize the additives are cheaper but it will still be around $10 for the additives. 2.5 Gallons………..well allrighty then lol. Not sure what you have that uses so much water but you are obviously a special case and I can totally see why you’d want to go with something cheap. For 99% one quart would be enough to do the job.

1 quart barely filled up my system and im only cooling my cpu but thats probably because I have a dual 120mm heatercore and a dual floppy bay res.

Yeah, I know...I'm special :D

I have a copper/brass truck radiator in my basement feeding my case with 1" ID tubing and a one gallon vortex reservior...that's where all my water goes.
Plus too, I don't use additives at all. If your setup is cleaned properly to begin with, there's no algae.
Every 6-8 moths I clean out my block, not that it's clogged or anything, but just to remove that minute layer of black oxidation.

Diggrr said:
Yeah, I know...I'm special :D

Every 6-8 moths I clean out my block, not that it's clogged or anything, but just to remove that minute layer of black oxidation.

Well there you go. Wouldn't it be something if one year from now you looked at your block and it was still shiny with no oxidation? Like I said before; I realize your case is special but for most people the non corrosive properties alone of mcp-40 would be worth the extra few $.

its not more popular because 1. its more expensive than distilled water & additives, and 2. distilled water has better heat conductivity than the non-conductive solutions, and most of us wanna drop temps as much as possible, plus 3. you don't need a special solution as long as you leak test properly and seal everything well

Ok first of all you will not see more than a 1 or 2 degree trop in temps MAX. I didn't see any change in temp when I changed over. And second, no one plans on having a leak, but when it happens you are screwed and you are out hundreds of $.

The other problem is that if you change or mess around with your system on any kind of semi-regular basis, the MCT-40 can really add up. It is just plain handy to stop by Walmart on the way home and get a gallon of distilled water (only need about 1.5 liters for me). And as far as the cost of additives, I don't know where the $10 figure comes from. I bought a bottle of algaecide at Walmart for $5 that is enough to last for about the next 15 years, and even the blue VW antifreeze I am using is $30 a gallon and goes a very long way given that I only use about 6oz per refill.

Plus at some point the MCT-40 will become conductive, although frankly I wonder how long this would actually take. If it works for you, then great. I have spent the last 7 months building and rebuilding my setup, and almost finally have it to the point that I might leave it alone for a while. If I had to refill this thing with MCT-40, I would really be out some money!

And although you can lose hardware if you have a leak, usually hardware can be cleaned and revived. Using good clamps, hose, parts, etc. makes it a LOT harder to have leaks in the first place.

Why couldn't you reuse the mct-40 when you play with your system? I have done it before with no problems. Just drain in to a clean container so the fluid can be reused.

I use Dowfrost + RO Water and it works fine, I just reuse it when I drain the system.

My 9800 Pro would be dead right now if it weren't for the non-conductiveness :)

Tell us more about this "Dowfrost" you speak of. Sounds interesting. A link perhaps.

phaeton said:
My 9800 Pro would be dead right now if it weren't for the non-conductiveness :)

Search around, plunty of people have had their videocards run fine with just plain distilled water pooled ontop of the video card.

sunrunner20 said:
Search around, plunty of people have had their videocards run fine with just plain distilled water pooled ontop of the video card.

i was one of thoes people - the center quick-connect on my old asetek block (first WC loop) leaked a bit, and when i took it apart to move it to a new case & upgrade a few things, i noticed that there was an odd green spot (from dried up UV dye) on/surrounding the back of the card RIGHT on top of the core w/ open traces - i never noticed any sideeffects of this when i was running my card & overclocking and whatnot

I had a leak pop up about 8 months ago, when I was doing a rebuild (my own carelessness). The 6800 Gt got a nice bath and went bonkers. After cleaning with distelled water and alcohol, it ran just fine.

I use distelled water and zerex 95/5 ratio (plus a bit of UV dye)

The problem that i would have run into hyperasus with reusing the fluid every time is that I have done stuff where I want to be able to flush out the system good before putting in my final mix. If it was just something simple, yes I could just reuse the fluid, but in my case, I have switched pumps once, changed out rads/heatercores 4 times, changed res to t-line to res about 4 times, and have a completely different system now, all in the space of about 7 months. So anytime I have made a major change, I want to be able to flush things out good first. I realize this is not the norm, but this is where I am anyway. I have just been endlessly tweaking to try to get this thing where I really want it with performance vs. silence, and I am finally about there ( I think!).

I use about 15% antifreeze with some algaecide and a little iodine also. I have some anodized aluminum in the loop so that is why I run 15%. If it was all copper I would do like Jas and go about 5% antifreeze.

Back