• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux bootdisk that can read ntfs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
im looking for a floopy to boot up this old clunker i have

but the hdd is in ntfs and i dont want to screw with it

any ideas of a good bootable floppy that i can download and rawrite to a floppy

well i need to write something ( i assume now that a bootable cdrom will let me do that)

but can koppix let me read ntfs drives

Almost all linux distros read ntfs. The problem is writing it. NTFS write support is iffy at best, and I'm not sure if any livecd's support it.

well i care not

im doing a side job for a guy at work that forgot his password*
coughsamfilecough

so i just need to read it and write it to a floppy i guess

*edit just to clear up its his own personal machine he brought to work for me to look at at my house not a work computer

edit 2

god i love bittorrent

download form ftp 13k download

download from bittorant after a little searching and a new bt client

im having trouble copying a file from the hdd to a usb drive

from the desktop in a terminal

i do # cp MAS /dev/uba1

and it says its read only

any ideas

You need to mount it with the rw option (read/write). It's probably being mounted as read only.

If the usb drive is formatted ntfs though, you can't write to it with Linux. Microsoft won't release the details of how ntfs works, so they're still trying to reverse engineer it.

how do you mount it with rw

i plug it in and it shows up on the desktop

OR COULD IT BE THE DAMN SWITCH TO READWRITE OPTION WHEN I RIGHT CLICK

( i feel stupid)

Crash893 said:

( i feel stupid)

:beer:

Don't feel bad. Last night I boooted up and had no sound, no system sounds, no tunes, nothin. Started trouble shootin it, fifteen minunte later, I realized my speakers weren't on.

I tried to punch myself :bang head

Crash893 said:

( i feel stupid)

thats one way to mount it writeable. Knoppix mounts drives as read only by default.

Another trick if the files you want are too big for a thumbdrive is to use the samba script in the menu. It will share all drives on the network. then you just go to an XP box and right click my network places and click search for computer, Enter "knoppix" as the search term and it should show up. Then just drag and drop what you need. this has saved quite a few harddrives that wewre not readable in windows for one reason or another.;)

how could i export the regisitry for examination on a diffrent machine

Back