• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Undoing the 3.3v memory mod on A7N8X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moz_21

Ok, I read where someone ran the 3.3v rail from the power supply directly to the memory slots on an Abit NF7. I had done the same thing on my A7N8X and it worked well.

My problem now is that I am trying to remove the mod, and it seems the voltage regulator for the memory is screwed up now. It only gives the memory like .5v, not allowing it to boot at all. Trial and error on why it wouldn't boot resulted in me redoing the 3.3v mod, and it booted perfectly.

Anyone have any ideas how to remove it and regain the functionality of the board's memory regulator?

did you unsolder any SMT resistors or caps or anything that would need replaced? or maybe the voltage feeding back into the regulator IC killed it. im not sure if there would be a shut down mode that you could somehow take it out of and it work again, or if it would just need replaced altogether. if nothing else works you could probably replace the IC and it will work again.

four4875 said:
did you unsolder any SMT resistors or caps or anything that would need replaced? or maybe the voltage feeding back into the regulator IC killed it. im not sure if there would be a shut down mode that you could somehow take it out of and it work again, or if it would just need replaced altogether. if nothing else works you could probably replace the IC and it will work again.

I didn't unsolder anything else and nothing looks burnt out. The IC looks to be a pain to replace with like 8 pins but it's doable.

L337 M33P said:
It's quite possible you nuked a regulator - some can't stand input to output shorting.

I wondered that myself.

Kill_A._Byte said:
I'm wondering if an OCZ DDR booster would help you regain controll of of your system.

I also wonder that. However, I'm not really looking to stick $50 in this mobo. I was just using it for folding but since I've backed off my o/c from 2.6 to 2.2, I've been running the ram at 200MHz so there's really no need to continue running 3.3v through it. I was also gonna swap ram by running the BH-5 in my dually (2-2-2 isn't stable; thought it may help) and swapping the current ram over but I doubt this ram would take well to 3.3v.

I may just have to find a dead board.

I did the VDimm volt mod and it did nothing at all, so I'm guessing something's fried.

Back