• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte I-RAM? Where for art thou?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sentential

Contributing Member
:shrug: I kept hearing such promising things about this device and then all of a sudden nothing. What's going on? I was honestally looking foreward to seeing a affordable solid state harddrive.

Perhaps the overall cost of RAM is what is holding it back. I for one would never pay more than $400 for a HDD. With ram being close-to-over $100 these days Im not sure how I could justify getting this.

Maybe I'm being a scrooge on this and am being unfair. What are your thoughts?

Haven't seen it availble anywhere yet, still waiting. Supposedly july/aug was release, i hope we actually see it sometime in the next month.

I'm not a huge fan of just benchmarking, so maybe I'll buy it and test it with whatever RAM I have that I can pull from other systems in my house, and if I deem it worth the performance, then maybe I'll shell out the cash for some 1gb sticks for it. otherwise just probably sell it.

I'd just get the cheapest pc2700 I can find. Perhaps ebay?

Hmmm. They should have just made it a hard drive style box instead of a PCI card.

Yeah I don't know. I found a few places for 1gb sticks on pricewatch for $65-70 or so, but no where very reputable. I think newegg's cheapest is ~$80/gb. (for 1gb sticks, I'm not even considering 2gb sticks with the price of them).

I guess ebay? Or it may be cheaper to try to find a bunch of 512mb sticks and get multiple iRAM cards?

Hmmm. Antoher thing. Why isn't this using SATA2? I mean obviously ram can push more than ~137MB/s. Seems SATA 150 is the bottleneck.

Vulcan said:
Hmmm. Antoher thing. Why isn't this using SATA2? I mean obviously ram can push more than ~137MB/s. Seems SATA 150 is the bottleneck.

yeah I'm sure if the first product sells that will be for the next version (or maybe just a firmware upgrade for us early adopters :) )

Vulcan said:
I'd just get the cheapest pc2700 I can find. Perhaps ebay?

Hmmm. They should have just made it a hard drive style box instead of a PCI card.
But man even at that good grief. Imagining buying retail. I dont see how anyone could sell the whole package for less than $500 for 4GB

Ok then, so the question is why is this better than spending more cash on RAM (populate more of the slots on your motherboard, if not full already) and some cash on RAMDISK software (I think cenatek made a product like this?). Basically it makes windows see part of your physical ram as a hard drive. This would have faster transfer rates than SATA I definately.

The I-RAM doesn't lose data when you turn off your computer, but using regular RAM does. Its not really about faster transfer rates. You'd get insane boot times using I-RAM, but you can't do that with regular ram cuz it poofs after you shut down your computer.

kayson said:
The I-RAM doesn't lose data when you turn off your computer, but using regular RAM does. Its not really about faster transfer rates. You'd get insane boot times using I-RAM, but you can't do that with regular ram cuz it poofs after you shut down your computer.

Ok so +1 for the iRAM because you can boot from it and it doesn't loose data (unless power outage for more than 16hrs). But I'm not too concerned with boot times (my comp stays on mostly 24/7 anyway)

Back