• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old system upgrade, motherboard compatible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gizmofo

Registered
I'm upgrading a very old system, about 6 years. I bought it from HP and it took me forever to figure out what was in it. I found out that i currently have:
Pentium 4 1.8GHz
Nvidia TNT2 model 64
Asus P4B266LA (400MHz front bus speed, onboard lan and audio, socket 478)
2x 256MB PC1600 noname-brand unbuffered non-ecc

I disided i dont want to spend extra on the motherboard and just upgrade to what i can. I'm planning to put:
Celeron 2.7GHz (400MZz FBS)
Saphire radeon 9600 (400MHz)
Added: 2x256 PC2100 corsair unbuffered non-ecc
I'm not exactly a pro at this matching stuff, but i think that the 400 speed of everything will work out.

Also a big point, my motherboard says:
Processor Socket 478 for FC-PGA2 Pentium®4 (Willamette/Northwood) 1.4GHz to 2.4GHz+
Chipset North Bridge: Intel® 82845D Memory Controller Hub (Brookdale)
South Bridge: Intel® 82801BA I/O Controller Hub 2 (ICH2)

I dont really know what the heck that means... Hlpz plz, will this stuff work??

Also I've herd some people say that pentium 4 is better then celeron, but i cant find any pentium 4 above 2.2Ghz in the socket 478 section.

Should i just dump the motherboard and start new?

*(This isnt my primary system, going to be used for HL2 and maby BF2 at average fps hopefully)*

I'm not to sure if this thread is in the right topic, sorry about that if it is.

well, alot has happend in 6 years for motherboard chipsets. i think in your best thoughts, i would upgrade your motherboard to.

also if your going from this much of an upgrade, you may want to consireder a new psu, depening how many volts the one you got right now (and from 6 years ago..i am guessing under 300)

another think u may think of , since you want to play bf2. ditch the ram your getting, and think aboug getting around a gig, something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145440 is cheep, and its good brand.

also for the videocard.. i got a nivdia 6600gt (its about a 9800xt) and i run my settings at med~ . i got a 15mb fiber cable so i know i am not getting lag..but i get some lag due to rendering when i am flying in a jet close to ground with a jet.

so u may want to get something like a 9800pro (that are very cheep for a very good right now)

also if its possable, say away from cellys.. they have that low fsb.. so getting someting like a 2.4 P4 will run better (800 fsb)

also this is in an ok section.. i guess it could go in the gen hardware also..

well in that case, ... /me goes into story mode

Along time ago i owned a dell.. i then upgraded the motherboard to a 3 year newer chipset motherboard. with the same stuff.. no new os install or anything. it ran 40% faster.. so i think getting a new motherboard cant hurt..even if its a year /2 old.

heres some p4s for not that much..

Just for the record, they didn't make P4's 6 years ago although it seems like they've been making them forever. It sounds like a system that is just under 4 years old. I don't know that you get much of a boost from a Celeron. You will no doubt need to flash the bios to use a newer cpu. While you are at it you can see what is the fastest cpu compatable with that board. The video card will help.
I understand that you don't want to spend much, and you shouldn't since putting too much money into and old system a waste.

gizmofo said:
it was high end, at least 5 years, i bought it in march 2000, about 5 year 4 months.
Okay, you had me doubting my failing old mind there for a few minutes. Honest, the Pentium 4 was not out then. You have to be mistaken. It wasn't released till later in the year and the 1.8 most likely came out in early 2001.
http://encycl.opentopia.com/term/Pentium_4
I bought my first AMD system then (a 1 gig T-Bird that I still have) and the Intel competition was the new P4's.
Well, no matter how you slice it, it's old. My kids say the same about me. :)

Back