• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How is the onboard sound of a NF7S v2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zer0nix

^topic

is it sufficient for watching movies (clarity, high highs, low lows), listening to music (ability to generate good quality treble and bass without creating noise or errors) and playing games (smooth transition from soft to loud)? would an average user find fault with the nf7s v2 onboard sound? finally, which drivers should i use for the best results?

aw come on, not one response? :( i can't seem to find any detailed info in reviews (i believe i remember reading somewhere that there's crackling and artifacts but i'm not too sure :-/ ) and i know this is a popular mobo -in fact, i've got one coming in the mail; i'd like a heads up on what i can expect of the onboard sound...

Last edited:
Here is a link to a review I found.

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/motherboards/ABIT_NF7_v2.0_1.html

And here is what they had to say about the audio.

The ALC650 chip provides the board’s 6-channel audio AC 97 CODEC. Another thing about the onboard audio is that it is SoundStorm approved. The advantage to having a board that is SoundStorm approved is official support for Dolby 5.1 and S/PDIF interface. For a board to be validated it has to pass a number of tests. You can look here to see the list of boards that SoundStorm certified and there are not many.

Another review.

http://www.liquidninjas.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=42

Audio performance is actually surprisingly good. Running via the digital connection into my Nakamichi amplifier I was rewarded with a crisp clear sound. Games sound excellent with good separation and positioning of effects. DVD’s sound OK though I have been spoiled with my home cinema set up so it sounds a little disappointing to my ears but as its not what the computers designed for I’m more than happy with it.

After reading some of the many reviews posted by buyers of this board on newegg I would think that you're going to get some pretty decent audio out of this sucker. Sorry I can't give you a first hand review but thought this might help. :)

Ive been using the onboard audio on all thre of my NF7s and they are awesome.
The quality is great and they use less CPU cycles to do the job then most any card you could add on.

Wardog

I really liked the Soundstorm on my NF7-S. Still not sure why I ditched that board...now I want another one. It's great for games...the positioning is good and, like someone said, it's supposed to use less CPU cyles. I prefer my AV-710 for music, but music still sounds fine on the Soundstorm.

There can be crackling problems with the sound on the NF7, but if you keep the SB cool it won't be an issue. If you keep the SB cool, the sound is just great.

Back