• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This computer HATES Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoT

You can't fire me, I have
We're trying to convert an old computer into a smoothwall at work, but it seems to hate Linux. Smoothwall is unable to load, it throws a ton of numbers onto the screen--*TONS* and fast. Knoppix is unable to load; it seems as though the monitor shuts off after the second line of loading. We tried plugging in a different monitor and forcing Knoppix to set the resolution to 640x480. Same problem.

This is all while running with no hard disk and while running with one. It's an old system, but plenty to run Smoothwall; can anyone offer any help? :(

check and make sure the md5 sums are correct after you dl the cd image?

also you could try to boot to text mode, see if you still get problems

Ah, but the thing is, we have tried Smoothwall, we have tried Gentoo, and we have tried Knoppix. Smoothwall just does the continual scrolling of [<c01(other unreadable stuff)>], though on the same cd, it used to work not long before. There was no change, besides formatting the harddrive once. On Gentoo, it booted once, as I formatted the harddrive with Gentoo's fdisk program; It no longer will boot, but just goes to a black screen after loading the initial files. Same with Knoppix.

Tried from 2 different cd rom drives (though the quality of them are both questionable). However, the thing that drops that issue, is I have tried the install of smoothwall initially from the floppies, with the same result of the scolling [<c01(stuff)>]

NOTE: This result came BEFORE we put the cd in. Once again, it was after the inital loading of the files (before floppy number 2, actuall)

Last edited:
I think I'm going throw all of these computers into the highway.

Yes. That's what I'll do.

I had that problem when the CMOS clock wasn't set properly. Set the correct time and no more jibberish when I was (trying) to load Smoothwall.

Midnight Dream said:
Ok, I have narrowed it down to this. Something JoT changed in the bios was causing it. Now, when JoT comes in to work today, I get to beat him. :D

If that was the case you would just have to reset the cmos;) Then set up the bios from scratch.

Well, turns out that wasnt it. Hell, I have no freaking idea now. It works, it doesnt work, it installs, it wont let us reinstall, we reset the cmos again, we cant boot from a cd half the time. WTF is going on?

I'm going to throw it in the highway, the voices compel me.

JoT said:
I'm going to throw it in the highway, the voices compel me.
i also have a computer that hates linux, it shows these weird lines when fedora is installed. it wont reload the video card or something. It lookes like a windows screen froze but you can move things but their picture follows the mouse and stays there. BUT at least windows works :)

Eh, doesn't matter now, I threw it into the highway.

Back