• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A great video card for Bf2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enrich

Hi guys. I just rasied my self $120.00, I wanted to get a good new VGA card for a good price and I may go over 120 to about 180. So I have a 9600xt right now but I can't stand the lag in the new games. Even in CS:S I can only play with my texture set to med. I want bf2 to look great. I heard the the 6600gt is great for what I need but then again. I don't know if I want to go back to nvidia. I am so used to ATI.

Can you recommend me a good card.
If so, can you tell me what brand of that card to go with?

Thanks,
Enrich

hmm well, in that price range i think your only choices are the 9800pro and 6600gt, but personaly what I would do is go ahead and save up a little more and get at least the 6800 standard, last i checked was $199, would do you much better in bf2

Edit: 6800 Standard

i would get a 6600gt or even better a 6800nu for about the same price and even look on ebay or at referbished card if you arent against it.

just 6800, that's what they mean; like in max's link. at least i think that's what they mean :p

a regular 6800 (128MB ram; actually, the exact same card as in that link) with axp-m in my sig get's me 60-70 fps on med. settings and around 40-50 fps on high (no antialiasing) with 1024x768 resolution. i am pretty sure with a modern cpu it would run much faster.

Last edited:
thats a card with only 8 pipes and 3 vertex shaders unlocked. with some software. if u are lucky, u can unlock the other 8 pipes (or 4) or u can unlock the other 3 vertex shaders. like that u can set this card to 6800GT speed or even 6800ultra. but u need to be lucky. unlocking pipes and shaders might fail ... the first reaction on the link, that guy has succesfully unlocked 16 pipes and 6 vertex shaders :) (16x6) ^^

that's better than i got on my 6800 - 12x6; it does 16x6 as well but starts artifacting after a while. if those are discarded gt and ultra cores, that mean they'll at least overclock to good speeds. might explain that huge heatsink.

edit, tnx consumer

Last edited:
mcoleg said:
that's better than i got on my 6000 - 12x6; it does 16x6 as well but starts artifacting after a while. if those are discarded gt and ultra cores, that mean they'll at least overclock to good speeds. might explain that huge heatsink.

You mean 6800nu right? :p

Again, I second getting at the very least a 6600GT, and if you can afford it, you will be well served with a 6800. BF2 will readily consume all the graphics power, CPU power and RAM your system has to offer it. Make sure you have at least one gigabyte of ram - 2 gigabytes is ideal for BF2. :bang head

consumer9000 said:
You mean 6800nu right? :p

yah, i think that's what they are called now. i got mine right when it was released; (was it "standard" at the time?); i think they stack "nu" to it only later on. at least i think so... :p

Games love nVIDIA.

Either a 6600GT or a 6800GT if you have enough.

They say you'll want 2GB of ram for BF2, 1GB can make BF2 run at about 40%, 2GB can make it run at 100%+.

Back