• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ti 4600 or 5200 a few questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ss69nova

Ok fromm what i have read the Ti 4600 has 4X2 pipelines (does that mean 8 pipelines??) and dirX8.1

And the 5200 has 4X1 pipelines ( i am thinking this means 4) and dirX 9.0.

Dose dirX 9 make that big of a difrrence? Any insight would be helpful.

The rerason i ask is that i have a Ti4600 now and My brother just gave me his 5200. I know these arnt top of the line but i cant afford to upgrae at this time.

I guess i could install both cards and benchmark em.

to make the answer simple (because im lazy atm :( )
the ti4600 would rape the 5200

But the Ti also can't support DirectX 9.0... which I don't think is much of a loss compared to the 5600, as its performance in 9.0 is dismal. Or so I hear.

d94 said:
the ti4600 would rape the 5200

Agreed, the directx9 capability of the 5200 may give you a few additional effects in some games but the 4600 will own it in FPS in just about anything

I bought a 5200 as an upgrade to an old Voodoo 3000. Yeah, right, I gave the 5200 to my wife, then bought a Ti4200 which smokes the 5200. 5200's are not for gaming of any kind. Well, maybe if you can find a PC version of "pong" :D

lol come on, they arent -THAT- bad

wait, yeah they are :( why did nvidia even bother coming out with the 5200s? i have yet to figure that out.. lets see, gaming? nope.. video editting? nope... 80fps in Solitaire? Hmm, guess so... but yes, go with the 4600.. as people say, itll **** on the 5200 in pretty much everything.. heck, even a 4200 would :(

Careface*

The ti4600 would blow the FX5200 out of the water, no contest. BUT if you intend to play Battlefield 2, gl trying with the ti4600 as it doesn' thave ps1.4 support. But really.. with the 4600 you'll be happy, your children, pets, neighbours mothers uncles sons sister will be happy.. its win win :p

I gave the 5200 to my wife so she could run "Dogz 5"(it's a girl thing), it wouldn't run unless the vidcard had DX9 support. It's very slow running that. I really have no idea what this particular card is useful for, unless it's an upgrade from an old PCI card. Just for DX9 support? Better off without it, get a Ti4600, lose a little eye-candy, have a lot more performance :thup:

Ok so i will stick with my 4600 she is old but she hasnt let me down yet. Thanks for the input.
Just one more little question.

Was i reading the info right? does pipelines 4X2 = 8 pipelines?

I was reading this in a sticky near the top of the page. Not sure if i should post the question there or not thay already have 4 pages. And i didnt find the answer on any of them.

Back