• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

here's radeon 8500 vs. deforce 3 benchmark, very impressive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am happy to see this card out-performing the GFarce at 1024x768, this is where I play most of my games.

I also like to see it spanking the GFarce at its own game, 3DMark2001. By 1000 points nonetheless.

And let's not forget that it thromps the GFarce in another category...PRICE!

just as a reminder...those numbers were with pre-production drivers from ATI and the old 12.41s from nvidia....

Jay: I got a delay from Dell telling me mine would ship around the 29th of the month.

(waits very anxiously for the Radeon)

Yeah someone finally made a slightly faster card than a geforce 3 7 months after I got one.
No if only my cpu could stay on top that long.
Yellow=gefarce 3
Orange=retardeon

I would never get an ATI card, and besides those "Benchmark" scores would be much different if the 21. series drivers from Nvidia were used. I once got an ATI Rage card(with 32megs of ram)and even though it was a bit better on paper, it sucked compared to the Invidia card at the time playing games and stuff. Biggest problem?? No damn driver support for it! Its gonna be the same again, like it always is from ATI, better on paper,never better in real world applications.:rolleyes:

Ritteri&Bubbles said:
I would never get an ATI card, and besides those "Benchmark" scores would be much different if the 21. series drivers from Nvidia were used. I once got an ATI Rage card(with 32megs of ram)and even though it was a bit better on paper, it sucked compared to the Invidia card at the time playing games and stuff. Biggest problem?? No damn driver support for it! Its gonna be the same again, like it always is from ATI, better on paper,never better in real world applications.:rolleyes:

If you haven't owned an ATI card since the Rage, how can you accurately state that there are driver issues with their current cards?

Ritteri&Bubbles said:

Nvidia are punks. Look, they're already trying to make your STANDARD geforce 3 look obsolete with their Ti line. They do that all the time.

Now if ATI starts releasing Radeon 8700,8800,8900,9000 which all just have a faster core/mem then I'll be ****ed at them too, but as of now, they have never done that.

Plus ATI has cleaned up their driver act. Not one problem with the Radeon series for me.

If you wanna be Nvidia or nothing, your gonna miss out.

(all said above is my opinion, take it how you want)

Peace! :)

Amedeo602 said:

...I got a delay from Dell telling me mine would ship around the 29th of the month.

(waits very anxiously for the Radeon)

Thats just like dell to screw you over... thats what dell does...

Mark my words, dell is the devil. They make bill gates look like santa claus.

Ritteri&Bubbles said:

"I owned a Riva 128 and it's drivers and compatibility were horrible. I'm never going to buy another Nvidia card again!"

Make sense? No...neither does the logic of your post.

Gerry, since you will be getting yours first, please post your review of the card and let everyone know how good it really is....

boonmar said:
Gerry, since you will be getting yours first, please post your review of the card and let everyone know how good it really is....

no problem...
other than 3dmark 2001, which other benchies do you want?

assuming i actually get mine first lol.

I just wish I could afford any of those cards... Though I've always been ATI after my first Cirrus Logic 1MB on a P-75! I intend to stick with ATI if their next cards wont be much less of a nVidia's.

Yes, you are correct, the last card from ATI that I did personally own was a RAGE series 32meg card. But I have seen in action the current Radeon cards at play, on specific games,and grafx programs. Though I can concur that I have yet to see any "glitches" running your basic gaming and app programs, I do know that they are in no way performing as good as current Geforce 2 and 3 cards at the games played. I wont go by "benchmark" tests for anything more than to roughly guage POTENTIAL "horsepower" so to speak of the cards. BUt its how you apply that horsepower to the ground that matters. Nvidia is king in this extremely important area. Realistically the difference between the regular Geforce3 and Radeon 8500 is negligible by benchmark scores anyway, in real life gaming apps though on a few games in 32bit color at 1600x1200 res(where I play all my games at)the Radeon 8500 gets a bit choppy in some games vs. the Geforce staying buttery smooth(with 21.83 drivers).Dont think so? Try playing classic Unreal at this res with both cards. Or Half-Life Counterstrike, or the best measure is NFS PU,or EA F1 2001 which I feel is a great acid test of video cards for real world apps.

Yeah it does **** me off how Nvidia always seems to have a new improved game card every 2 weeks, but you got to jump in somewhere. THe last card I had was a regular GeForce, the jump to the Geforce 2 wasnt worth it in my book, but the 3 was. I am willing to purchase 1 video card per year, and as long as I know that my current card will maximise grafx on all my current games, Im not worried about another card being able to perform 5-10 percent better. As I know I wont be able to tell any difference in reality anyway between them. The Radeon though is not cutting it yet though, and I wouldnt doubt it if alot of it had to do with their driver support, they still lag behind NVidia in this area whether u like it or not!

Peace!:cool:
R&B

My Buddy got a Radeon 64meg DDR VIVO, and i traded him for my geforce 2 pro 64meg DDR, cuase of the video in feature. Let me tell you i had it 2 hours and tradedit back. IT SUCKED. way lower FPS and benchmarks. NO DRIVER SUPPORT the drivers it came with did not support OpenGL, so i go tothe ati page and they do have XP drivers but then again sucked, and the 2000 drivers were also marked as non OpenGL supportive, what is the point of making new drivers to not support openGl. o and if you play cs, get ready not too - you can play in Opengl with older drivers, but i hept getting booted out for overflowing, basically the game sees me as hacking. LOL and boots me - just my 2cents

Back