• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Video and Sound Section Subforums: A Guide to Usage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
At the top of the Video and Sound general forum, there is a list of subforums. These are labelled as follows: ATI, nVidia, Other Video Cards, and Sound Systems. Please familiarize yourselves with these names, as they will come in handy later in the guide.

Now, say you're having problems with your latest video card purchase. Lets say, for instance, that your drivers are not installing problem-free for your brand new ATI x850xt. Now, where would you post such a thread? This is where the subforums come in!

Now, looking back to the first segment of this guide, you will notice that there is a section labelled 'ATI'. This is where your question regarding your ATI video card would go. There's a reason for this. The reason you would put your new thread directly in the ATI subforum, is due to the fact that you will receive better, more specialized help if you place it in there rather than in the general forum. Same goes for the other subforums, too. If you're having problems mounting the RAM sinks on your new nVidia 6800GT, you'd put your thread in the subforum marked 'nVidia'. This will give you the specialized help you need from people who have your card, or have had problems like this in the past.

Now, say you're having problems getting drivers for your old Voodoo 2. Well, you could drop that in the forum marked 'Other Video Cards'! Seeing as it doesn't fit the criteria of 'ATI' or 'nVidia', it would belong in the 'Other' section then.

Continuing onwards, lets say that you have far too much money, due to say, pushing your uncle down the steps (lets also say, for sake of argument, that your uncle was stealing money from orphans and using it to buy crack, so he deserved to die) and collecting the inheritance, or perhaps you still live in your parent's basement and don't really have anything else to spend your money on (like food or a car or a girlfriend). At any rate, you have way to much money, and want to burn it, but just can't think of which card to buy. Do you buy the ATI penis extension, or the nVidia penis extension? This is where the general forum comes into play! Post things like vs. threads in the general forum, where people from both the ATI camp and the nVidia camp can see it, and post their thoughts. Seeing as you don't really need specialized help yet, the general forum can help you decide on which way to make your ePenis bigger.

Boogying right along, lets say that you're having problems with your speakers, sound cards, or microphone. Those questions should probably go in the Sound Systems subforum, where you will receive the help you require from noted sound gurus on the forum. They will get you up and running quicker than posting your sound questions in the general forum.

Finally, I hope this guide has been helpful, and I dearly hope it will be adhered to. I'm getting really sick of moving like, 10 threads a day. Oh, and by the way, if your thread goes missing, I've moved it to where it should be and haven't left a re-direct. If you can't find it, use the forum's search engine to find it. It's quick and easy to use! Here's a small haiku about searching:

Type in the search word
Apply pressure to button
Then read the results!

It's just that easy!

Thanks.

-- Overclockers.com Video and Sound Forum Moderators

What about women OC'ers? I'm sure they wouldn't want a ePenis! LOL

Sorry man, I just HAD to say that. I couldn't stand it anymore.

Nice guide. Consider structuring this section as the CPU section and locking the main forum and creating a general subforum in its place?

I recommend this for sticky material. I just hope people read it up there. It seems like the most important material is the first thing skipped over. I'm all thr time directing people to the great information contained in the stickies. In fact, probably 75% of the questions that are asked are already answered in these stickies. Threads like "What VC should I get?" The answer is in the threads about the video card rankings for both ATi and nVidia. New people will always be joining the forum, and I will always help them to find the information they need, and if I can't, I'll find somebody who can. :)

I have a quick question, all the time I see these threads in the wrong section, should I point them to this thread of just leave it alone?

If you see a thread in the wrong forum, please PM a moderator and have him move it. As much as I push people to use the subforums, a thread in the wrong subforum won't do much good, either.

Back