• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So I was at PetSmart today...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Acurax

and I was browsing the Fish/Aquarium section for some sort of algaecide. It seems that most of their anti-algae products are the same (ingredient wise), but I did find 2 different types.

APPlus+ Algae Clear (5 ml treats 10 gallons)
Ingredients:
Diuron 0.67%
Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate 0.05%
Other Ingredients 99.28%

AlgaeFix (1 ml treats 10 gallons)
Active Ingredient: Poly(oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride 4.5%
Inert Ingredients 95.50%

Anyone used either of these? Or know how they work? (some products I saw just condense particles to settle to bottom of aquariums) Would either be safe in a WC loop of distilled water/antifreeze?

Do a search for CSP and Cathar here and at some of the other enthusiast sites (procooling, xs, ocau, etc). He looked into this a while back and, while effective, it will attack certain metals very rapidly. When Cathar tested this stuff it quickly ate away all of the nickel finish on his barbs and left a rusty residue in its place. Also, this stuff makes the water many orders of magnitude more electrically conductive, something else Cathar learned the hard way when he forgot to clamp down a hose, killing some components.

IIRC, it's ok for copper, but reacts mildly to brass, so if you're running an all copper/nylon/plastic setup you could be ok, but make absolutely sure you're leakproof ;)

Back