• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Smoothwall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lotec25

Hey i got mine set up today. What are some of the Better mods to use for it? i have seen a few on the Web Forum for Smootie but dont really know what ones to choose.

Lotec

105_0586.jpg

105_0589.jpg

Last edited:
I Like the Box!
What type of Mods are you speaking of? Software perhaps? If so, you could always have it do some Folding. Actually, I think that doing anything besides the Smoothie stuff has a slight possibility of reducing the security that an untouched smoothwall box provides. Just my humble opinion.

Looks rather interesting, though I'm not exactly sure what a "Smoothwall" is. I assume that it's a DIY-router that you can program yourself because it's actually just a PC? What are the benefits of something like this over a regular router that has a firewall? (I am intrigued =))

ghettocomp,

I an actually looking at the Firewallmods, etc, etc stuff like that to add to it. Ill have to look threw the forum and thow you a few links. I actually got the idea from you when i seen your Tubberware mod. I was going to put it in one of those but when i seen this Brinks box i had to have it.

Smoothwall is just a little better at blocking some of the stuff. Expecially with some of the mods that they have for it. I am just not sure on what mods to use.

here is one mod they are saying give a try.

http://community.smoothwall.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9593&highlight=mods

Lotec

Last edited:
Lotec25 said:
http://community.smoothwall.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6351

that is another mod that is suposed to be good.

Lotec

I like this one! Might just incorporate it in my smoothie. I do have a considerable amount of port scans and attempts to gain access, this may be just what I need to slow them down even further. Thanks for this link.

Origionally I had figured it possibly was a hardware mod that you wanted, but that box is excellent as it is. So I went with the most likely, Software Mods. Unfortunately I don't really know of any as such, so you have been more helpful to me

I got Dshield installed last night. It was actually preety easy. as long as you follow the instructions. I am just so used to working on Slackware that this is killing me. At least it has VI :D The other good one is that dansguaradin. Ill get that one installed this evening. It just has alot of dependencies.

Lotec

Props on the box that is very cool. My smoothwall is a P3 900mhz clocked down to around 350mhz.

As for the mods I like, one of my favorites is the Full Firewall Control, Bandview PACK, Smoothwall Info, and Bandwidth Bar I don't have to many installed, since I just use it for its basic firewall features, but you can do some awsome stuff with it.The Smoothwall Info Has been updated since i installed it so not sure what is new, but by the loooks of it it seems they just changed the name.

Archer36,

I actually read on the Full Firewall Control and it looks like you have to keep to tight of a check on it? are you running it now? is it easy to manage. I would like after i get it set up like i want to to jsut leave it alone.

How often do you guys restart you Smoothie? i know since i got mine set up i have reset it everyday but after i get it set how often do you reset it. I know that linux is stable and you can run it for ever and ever. I have used Slackware for about 5 years now but i allways turn my computers off at night except my server. And i usually reset it every 3 to 7 days.

And i need to pull the box apart i put the on button on the bottom of it. And as i was doing it i was like man i know my dog or cat will hit it. Well sure enough they hit it and it reset this evening. And i need to find a way to set it up so i can see the NIC card lights. Ill have to think about that one. Maybe ill have to attach some led's to them. Anyone got any ideas on the nic cards? I have the top closed and no real way to look at the nic cards.

I also want to add a new Nic Card to it. Maybe you guys can give me some ideas. I have a Linksys router that i have every computer hooked up to. And then i have another router for my VOIP. I have the Voip connected to the wireless router, would you guys run another nic and run the Voip threw say Orange? I have alot of other questions and ideas ill ask them as i go on. Hope i dont boar the heck out of you guys.

Lotec

Lotec25 said:
Archer36,

I actually read on the Full Firewall Control and it looks like you have to keep to tight of a check on it? are you running it now? is it easy to manage. I would like after i get it set up like i want to to jsut leave it alone.

How often do you guys restart you Smoothie? i know since i got mine set up i have reset it everyday but after i get it set how often do you reset it. I know that linux is stable and you can run it for ever and ever. I have used Slackware for about 5 years now but i allways turn my computers off at night except my server. And i usually reset it every 3 to 7 days.

And i need to pull the box apart i put the on button on the bottom of it. And as i was doing it i was like man i know my dog or cat will hit it. Well sure enough they hit it and it reset this evening. And i need to find a way to set it up so i can see the NIC card lights. Ill have to think about that one. Maybe ill have to attach some led's to them. Anyone got any ideas on the nic cards? I have the top closed and no real way to look at the nic cards.

I also want to add a new Nic Card to it. Maybe you guys can give me some ideas. I have a Linksys router that i have every computer hooked up to. And then i have another router for my VOIP. I have the Voip connected to the wireless router, would you guys run another nic and run the Voip threw say Orange? I have alot of other questions and ideas ill ask them as i go on. Hope i dont boar the heck out of you guys.

Lotec

If you are even a little handy with a soldering iron you could do something like i had to do to this mini switch for one of my projects:
parts03.jpg

This allowed me to extend the LEDs from the switch mounted inside the case to the outside front, then I could watch net activity if needed.

Lotec25 said:
Archer36,

I am not sure what you mean by keping check on it, for my smoothwalls I have around 25-30 port forwards for my servers, I just set them up and go. RIght now my smoothwall is giving me crap though, but I think its my cable modem possibly I am not home and i keep try to log into my server but it keeps dying. Very annoying.

My smoothwall has been running for 32 days now. Hasnt had one probelm ytet. Its running about 5 mods i THINK. Might be one less might be one more. But its rock solid stable and i dont have any need to restart it. And my file server (both are in my sig w/ link) ive had that running about 60 days now non stop. Its running windows 2000.

You should never have to restart your smoothwall, I know guys on the smoothwall uptime league that have them up for 245 days, probably more since i have not checked in a long time. Mine has only been up for 1 days now since I had a power outtage, my longest time was probably around 50 days or so.

ghettocomp,

yea this is what i was thinking. Doing the same thing you did there. All you have to do is soldier some wires to to the card where the led's are at now right?

Archer36,

when i say you have to watch it. Meaning that you have to watch the box more when you install the firewall mods etc etc,

i tried to install dansquardian last night and got a few errors. I think i am going to have to actually log into the box it looked like when i was running vi it was not operating right thew the GUI. So ill give that a try. I also got an error when i was install some of the dependecies for dansguardian i think it was clam i was installing v0.81 but v0.82 was allready on the comp. So i got an error when trying to install an older version of clam.

And no one answered me on the orange network anyone have any ideas. would you leave it like it is? or move it to an orange network, i guess the biggest problem is i am not sure if i need DHCP for VOIP. ill have to check on it.

Lotec

Lotec25 said:
ghettocomp,

yea this is what i was thinking. Doing the same thing you did there. All you have to do is soldier some wires to to the card where the led's are at now right?

Archer36,

when i say you have to watch it. Meaning that you have to watch the box more when you install the firewall mods etc etc,

i tried to install dansquardian last night and got a few errors. I think i am going to have to actually log into the box it looked like when i was running vi it was not operating right thew the GUI. So ill give that a try. I also got an error when i was install some of the dependecies for dansguardian i think it was clam i was installing v0.81 but v0.82 was allready on the comp. So i got an error when trying to install an older version of clam.

And no one answered me on the orange network anyone have any ideas. would you leave it like it is? or move it to an orange network, i guess the biggest problem is i am not sure if i need DHCP for VOIP. ill have to check on it.

Lotec

I have VOIP from vonage and im running a smoothie. My smoothie handels my dhcp. I tried setting up an orange card and it didnt work too well i coudl talk to sites and such but couldnt load them. Not sure why but i just gave up after a while. As for VOIP it works wonders. The smoothwall has absolutly no problem with it which is great and i love it.

Yea i have Vonage for my phone serive and it runs fine over Green. I am just woundering if it will run over Orange? reducing the traffic on my Green. Just a thought i guess it really does not matter. Voip does not take up that much anyway. Just something i wanted to try i have to have someting to mess with or i go nuts.

Lotec

Archer36 said:
You should never have to restart your smoothwall, I know guys on the smoothwall uptime league that have them up for 245 days, probably more since i have not checked in a long time. Mine has only been up for 1 days now since I had a power outtage, my longest time was probably around 50 days or so.

The last one I had where I used to work was up for almost 18 months at one point (had to restart for a patch). Smoothwall's offer awesome performance for little worry and financial commitment.

Lotec25 said:
Yea i have Vonage for my phone serive and it runs fine over Green. I am just woundering if it will run over Orange? reducing the traffic on my Green. Just a thought i guess it really does not matter. Voip does not take up that much anyway. Just something i wanted to try i have to have someting to mess with or i go nuts.

Lotec
I have never used Vonage before, but there should be no problem with it being on Orange, the only thing different from Orange is by default it does not have DHCP on it, is on a different subnet, and can not talk to Green unless you poke pin holes. But having Vonage on your Green will cause no slow down either, Smoothwall is faster than the normal Linksys router.

As for the mods I forgot to add that I had the DHCP pack on my orange network for my wireless AP.

Smoothwall = my friend :clap:

Back