• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The best System for the $$$

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marro255

OK I have around $3000 +/- $200

What is the best system for this amount. Heres what I've pieced together, please give me some feedback.

Motherboard - DFI LanParty SLI-DR instead of just SLI-D model $199 (is there much of a difference between these?)
Processor - AMD Atholon 64 X2 4200+ - $545
Memory - 2 x 1GB OCZ Dual Channel DDR400 - $264
PSU - OCZ Powerstream 520W PSU - $135
Video Card - 256MB BFG GeForce 7800GTX - $569
HDDs - 1 10,000 RPM 74GB Raptor + 1 250GB Seagate Barracuda $186 + $137
Case - Lian Li PC-7B Plus Case $95
Sound - Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum - $173
DVDROM - Lite-On 16x DVD - $25
DVD Burner - Lite-On 16x +R 16x -R - $48
OS - Windows x64 - $140
Monitor - Viewsonic 8ms 19" LCD - $320
Speakers - Logitech THX 5.1 280 Watts - $138
+ mouse, keyboard - $86

All prices from newegg

Total w/ shipping $3130

Feedback?

Last edited:
The tsunami sucks majorly IMO. Get a Lian Li v1000B or something. Also get a better powersupply. OCZ Powerstream 520W will suffice. Get the LG burner instead of the Lite-On one, forgot the model number. Instead of 4x512 mb sticks, get two Crucial Ballistix 1gb sticks.

The rest look pretty good to me.

you dont need 2 raptors its better to get one rap and a storage drive
also consider getting a better case 3o$ can make a very big difference
and ther are sometime compattability probs wit corsair and dfi boards so to avoid risk look in to different ram maybe mushkin or soo and remember heatsink if your overclocking

As for the soundcard, the only difference between the 2 ZS and the 2 ZS Platinum Pro, is that you get a couple inputs on the Platinum. I think some OCZ ram would do nicely too.

-1cem4n

Thanks for the input on the case, I wasnt sure about it, would the Shark case be better or should I look at a Lian Li, I dont like the Lian Li because it looks plain. I will be using this thing for gaming and everyday use. I would like to get the dual core because its new, yes I could go with a San Diego 4000+ instead but isnt 4200+ faster? I'm not getting the platinum pro audigy, just the platinum because I want the faceplate on the front in a 5.25 bay. Right now I have 2 Raptors 36GB RAID 0 and they are super fast when RAIDed so thats why I was looking at the 2 74GB ones. Thanks for the tip on the Corsair RAM, I will look into OCZ RAM instead because I hear its pretty good. Im not too worried about teh DVD drives, whatevers cheapest works for me. As far as the PSU I thought Antec made the best, so what would be the advantage of going with the OCZ one over the Antec?

The OCZ one is one of the best PSU's out there right now. The 3700+ and 4000+ will OC about the same, and you'll save about $100 or so in the process. I personally would never buy anything from Thermaltake, as they just copy the designs from other companies. Lian Li cases are the most beautiful cases you can buy. I like the classy look of them; I absolutely hate the plastic looking cases with dragon heads or soemthing.

Made some changes and updated the cart,

2 x 1GB OCZ Dual Channel DDR400 - $264
OCZ Powerstream 520W PSU - $135
DFI LanParty SLI-DR instead of just SLI-D model $199 (is there much of a difference between these?)

only 1 10,000 RPM Raptor + 1 320GB WD Caviar $186 + $162
Lian Li PC-7B Plus Case $95

Total after changes $3170

Feedback?

Don't get teh Caviar. Any Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 SATS drive will whoop them.

As for case, I'd get the V1000. If yoiu don't want to spend that much, look into the PC-65 and PC-65B, the difference being the color.

Yeah Im a Seagate man myself so Ill probably go that dirsection on HDD #2, I think the case I have chosen is pretty good for the $$$ cause I dont want to drop another $100 on the V1000. I dont like the PC-65s as much because im not a big fan of the window on the side.

As for the motherboard, I think the only difference is that yoiu get a bunch of accessories, like a casre carryign ctrap, a front 5.25" bay and some othe stuff that I can't remember.

If you need any more help, hit me up on AIM.

marro255 said:
Motherboard - DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-D - $168
Processor - AMD Atholon 64 X2 4200+ - $545 <x2 3800+ will be here soon, might want to hold off and see how they overclock. Might not be worth the extra money for the 4200+.>
Memory - 4 x 512MB Corsair XMS DDR400 Twin-X - $370 <get some 1gb sticks istead. See this thread: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=395335>
PSU - Antec TRUEPOWER II 550W - $112 <I'd get a Seasonic S12>
Video Card - 256MB BFG GeForce 7800GTX - $569 <Monarch has the EVGA for 500.00 See here: http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=190416
>
HDDs - 2 10,000 RPM SATA 150 74GB WD Raptors - $372
Case - Thermaltake Tsunami ATX MidTower - $100 <This case really isn't worth what they charge for it... Get a P180 or something.>
Sound - Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum - $173 <I'd hold off on this. The Creative X-Fi should be coming soon. That will cause prices to drop probably.>
DVDROM - Lite-On 16x DVD - $25
DVD Burner - Lite-On 16x +R 16x -R - $48<Get a Benq or a NEC.>
OS - Windows x64 - $140 <Try the 6 month trial before you buy it.>
Monitor - Viewsonic 8ms 19" LCD - $320 <I'd probably try to get one of those 20" dell widescreens instead.>

EDIT: just saw your update, might want to edit your original post ;)

Thermaltake pretty much blows and what will you need the front panel for from the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum? Unless you use it, it won't alter the sound quality. Lian-li's totally rock and they look pretty damn nice. Will you be overclocking at all and what games will you be playing? 2gb of ram is kind of overkill unless you're playing a lot of BF2 or MMO.

-1cem4n

Mostly CS source and other strong 3D games. I like the front plate for the ZS platinum because it gives more input options and it looks nice. I figure the 2 GBs would be nice for the X2 and its relatively cheap for performance RAM.

Last edited:
Mouse - Razer Plasma Diamondback (best gaming mouse out there)
Keyboard - Microsoft Natural Keyboard (I cant use anything else now that Ive used naturals for so long)

If you're not using it for anything except for gaming, there is no point in getting the front panel. Unless you ABSOLUTELY need it, there isn't any point.

-1cem4n

Well if you are gonna go dual core, get a 4400+ Toledo, extra cache would help. If you dont need a dual core, a 3700+ would be my pick. Vulcan does make some pretty good points in his post, dont overlook them :D

Back