• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel 865pe-ls and P4 [email protected] am I at my limit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thumper34

Registered
I just registered but been searching the forums for a couple of weeks gaining lots of knowledge. My specs are in my sig. It seems I can not go above 225 on my fsb no matter what. Even if my ram is 5:4 or 1:1. Voltage is at stock 1.5. No improvement if I raise it up. It will not run at 1.6 due to unknown reasons. My question is am I at my limit or do I have more to go? My SuperPi time is 39.878 Thanks for your time.

Hi and Welcome.

Have you set your AGP/PCI frequency to fixed 66.6/33.3?
Is your ram ddr400 or pc4000? Makes a big difference.

60C load temp about 10C is too high for a northwood. I have a 3.2C and it runs about 50C at 3.7ghz under load.

Thanks. My agp/pci is locked at 66.6/33.3 My ram is DDR500 or DDR4000. I thought 60C was too hot. I am running a coolermaster cpu fan w/artic silver 5 and my case has 4 fans on it. I have updated my bios to latest driver 2.5. So what do you think is causing the overheating problem? Also what does the c stand for after 3.2c? Thanks.

Maybe you need to reseat your heatsink on the cpu. Did you follow the instructions for applying the AS5? Good link... with pictures - lol
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions_big2.htm
Do you have a link to the coolermaster heatsink/fan you are using? I would like to see the fan's cfm rating.

Intel lettering on 478 pin cpus.
a - northwood core, 100mhz fsb
B - northwood core, 133mhz fsb
C - northwood core, 200mhz fsb
A - prescott core, 133mhz fsb
E - prescott core, 200mhz fsb
There are a few others too, for the willy & extreme edition.

Here is the specs on the fan.

http://www.coolermaster.com/index.p...=DI4-7J74F&other_title=+DI4-7J74F+Aero 4 Lite[/URL]

Its been a year since I put it together so I'm going to reapply my heat sink tomorrow after my cpu cools. I will check to see how my last application looks. I have a fresh new as5 I will use so I'll see if it helps. So besides the too much heat can you give me any more input on if i'm at my limits? Thanks

Most 3.2 northwoods max out at 3.6ghz - 3.7ghz, but there are some that get to 4.0ghz on air (mine ain't one of 'em). :)

You should have some room to go further, especially since you are at stock vcore. I am running 1.6v at 225mhz with mine & it maxed out at 231mhz with 1.65v.

You said you can't boot with 1.6vcore, What about 1.525 or 1.550?

This seems a bit low to me to cool an overclocked cpu - anyone else?
Fan Airflow 10.9~20.0 CFM
Is it running on high? It might just be a dust bunny on the heatsink since it's been in there a year.

You could see if your mosfets are getting too hot on the board.

60c is hot, I wouldn't put more voltage into your CPU until you get better cooling.

the Jet fan doesn't have a central hub so while the airflow is low, the heatsink is getting all of the air, it's one of the advantages of a "squirrel cage" design. the big thing to pay attention to is the static pressure of these types of fans.

you also might want to try pulling out one stick of memory just to see if that is what is holding you back

1 gig of memory is known to stress the northbridge of this board ( I ought to know I have one :) )

Another thing you might want to try is bump up your Vdimm Voltage ( memory voltage ) I am not sure of what your stock voltage settings are for your DDR500 but when using PC3200 with this board you have to bump it up to 2.7 to 2.8 in order to get a stable overclock . Most " Overclocking " memory needs a higher voltage . Check the web site and see what is recommended .

As far as the Bios is concerned

If you have a revison one board ( your bios will start with a 1.## or a 2.### ) then 1.9 reported to be the best to use with a northwood . 2.5 is much more stable for a prescott .

60C is way to hot , you might want to see the link in my signature for a quick and easy way to cool it down

If I had to bet it would be on the 1 gig of memory or the Memory Voltage or the heat that is causing your problems

I hope this helps :thup:

Dave

Thanks for the input. My vcore is actually at 1.5625 and my ram is at 2.7 My ram calls for 2.6 +- 0.1 If I put my vcore up to 1.6 it doesn't even want to boot. No matter what my ram timing is. Right now I have it at 3-3-3-6 running 1:1. I just redid my heat sink with some new as5 and went anal on my wires. I have noticed a 2 degree drop. I hope after a few heat cycles it will drop a few more. I am looking to upgrade to water cooling. My current fan situation is I have 4 case fans. Two intake, two exhaust. One of the intakes blows directly into the cpu fan suction. I then have a power supply exhaust fan, a motherboard fan, and a video card fan. My bios is a revision A2. It is updated with version 2.5 bios, via live update 3. I will try removing one of my ram sticks to see if this helps. Let me know if you can give me any more suggestions or need some more info. Thanks

Attachments

• speed.JPG
    speed.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 108
Did you pull the HS fan off the heatsink & check for dust build up? A 2C isn't much (from 60C) and after the AS5 settles in you will probably still be in the mid 50's.

I can't get your screenshot to full size. Is cpu-z reporting your vcore at 1.4xx? That's a fair amount of droop if it is reporting correctly (which cpu-z don't always do).

I pulled the fan off the heatsink. Washed the heatsink then blew 5-10psi of air throw it and my entire case. I also removed every fan and cleaned it. It is 99% dust free. I am going to redo my heatsink and fan on my motherboard with some as5. Right now it just has the factory tape crap. Funny thing is the processor has always run this hot even when I was running a conservative 210. So its not the overclocking that is causing the big problem. I'll try to get some numbers running stock fsb. Here are less res pictures. Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• speed1.JPG
    speed1.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 76
  • speed2.JPG
    speed2.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 61
  • speed3.JPG
    speed3.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 62
  • speed4.JPG
    speed4.JPG