• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question from a networking noob

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MRD

I have always just used dhcp to get ip addresses on my machines. However, recently that has become a problem. The machines are getting different addresses each boot, so my /etc/hosts is wrong, and it screws up stuff like nfs and distcc.

So, I'm thinking that maybe the best way to fix it is to assign ip's to each computer statically. (If you have an easier way of fixing this problem, let me know.)

My question though is how do I do that?

edit the /etc/conf.d/net file

Look for the iface_your connection type then edit it accordingly to fit the needs of your connection whether it is behind a router or whatnot. That is what I did until I figured out how to set up dhcp.

I had my laptop set up as 192.168.0.102 with 255.255.255.0 subnet ....etc.

Are you understanding this?

iface_eth0="192.168.1.102 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0"
gateway="eth0/192.168.1.1"

that should take care of everything you need unless the ip scheme changes or something but I think you can handle yourself due to you teaching me many things about Gentoo. :)

So can a PC ask the router for any IP it wants, and the router will just give it that?

What if the ip is currently taken, then what will it do?

Do I need to make any changes to the router?

If you are going to staticly assign IP addresses then the best thing to do would be to figure out a range you want to use for the static addresses. Say go to octet 110 instead of starting at 100.

If the IP address is taken, then the NIC will still be assigned that address no matter what but your internet connection will not function until you can get the IP address freed up.

No changes would be needed for the router unless you have a specific limit on the IP scheme size or limited IP filtering.

Your router probably has a setting somewhere to allow assignment of specific IPs to specific MAC addresses via DHCP. My Netgear DG834 does this, the computers are set to use DHCP as normal, but always get the same address.

ANd that is how I usually config my DHCP server (if not using a router). Map the mac addy to a specific IP.

MRD said:
So can a PC ask the router for any IP it wants, and the router will just give it that?

What if the ip is currently taken, then what will it do?

Do I need to make any changes to the router?

When you set a static IP, the computer you set it on decides that it will use that IP, not the router. The router only has authority when you use DHCP. If the IP you set is already taken by another computer, you'll have an IP conflict, and the computers affected will do weird, unpredictable things.

Often a router assigns DHCP from 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.200, so if you set your IPs in the 2-99 range, you should be fine. Unless the router is intentionally configured otherwise, it should be happy to talk to any IP on its subnet.

Ok, finally got around to doing this. Sort of weird stuff happening though.

I set the following lines in /etc/conf.d/net:
iface_eth0="192.168.1.50 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0"
gateway="eth0/192.168.1.1"

192.168.1.1 is the address I use to log in to my router. Basically, I just guessed that, since I don't know what a gateway is, but without it, it doesn't work at all, so it seems reasonable. =p

I can open X and start up firefox and pages seem to load ok, so that's good.

However, I can't ping stuff. ping www.cnn.com loses all packets. Why is this?

Is it configured correctly? I don't really understand what broadcast, gateway, and netmask mean.

The netmask determines the range of IP addresses that the computer will accept connections from. 255 in the octet means that it won't accept any other value, 0 means it'll accept any value. To figure out exactly what IP's will be accepted, convert the mask value to binary, eg 255 is 11111111. Do the same with your IP. Where the netmask has a 1, it won't accept connections from a value that changes that bit in the IP. A 11111101 (253) mask coupled with a 1100100 (100) IP will allow a connection from 1100110 (102) IP. 1100100 isn't allowed since it's the devices own IP.

Not entirely sure on gateway and broadcast, but from the name, I'm guessing gateway is the device through which your connection to the internet is routed. This is supported by the fact that 192.168.1.1, your gateway value, is also usually your router's IP. As for what broadcast is, I have absolutely no idea

I'll have to define something before I explain anything. Subnets. As I'm sure you've realized already, the internet is a huge place. You could spend all your time just going through different hosts and never run out of them. As such, you can imagine finding one particular host if you don't know it would be like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Before the internet even existed, engineers already faced this problem and designed networking to be divided into smaller networks. These subnets each share a common IP part, and this common part is what the mask described by ponkan defines. You might find this and that helpful.

Broadcast address the theoretical IP that represents "All hosts" in the subnet. Pinging this address should, in essence, ping every computer on its subnet class. It isn't used very often, however, and doesn't matter much.

Now how do we put together all these subnets into one huge, easily accessible network, whether it be Internet or other? The answer is with routers, machines dedicated to transferring all data from one host in a subnet to an host in another. The Internet, with its millions of different networks, makes large use of those, and a simple page request will often go through dozens of routers before getting to the server and back to your client. Each time you connect through another computer on the network, it will go through those routers, each step of this route being called a "hop".

The question is, who provides all these routers that people will use to send and retrieve data all around the world? The average user can't decide to just plug her computer into the wall and have instant access to all the subnets. Nor can she make her own router to link her subnet to the world's. The sheer amount of data that passes through Internet routers makes for extremely expensive infrastructure, both connection-wise, and computer-wise. The end user can't just afford a CISCO router with an OC48 connection to go with. Nor does she need that much bandwidth.

This is where ISPs (Internet Service Providers) come in. Essentially, ISPs build their own sets of high-bandwidth, high-cost routers to provide their service to the users, and link them to the routers through simpler connections, namely phone lines or cable.

Now for the default gateway. The default gateway is the first router through which the client will first try to route connections that aren't in the same subnet. Indeed, a given host in a large network could have access to many different routers at any given time, and not all routers will be able to reach the host being contacted. The default gateway is just this, the first hop the client will attempt to reach its host.

In most cases, when the user connects her computer directly to the ISP's modem (whatever it is), this address will be the aforementioned ISP router. But what if the user has more than one computer? Would she need to get multiple lines, one for each? Not very efficient in most cases...

Why not simply add a subnet for the user only? Not many users will have more than half a dozen computers at any given time, so they don't need costy routers and high-bandwidth connections to go with. This is where home routers come in. The home router acts exactly like any other router -- it'll link the computer's network to the Internet's, so all clients can route their requests on the same connection. In this case, the default gateway would be the user's router, instead of the ISP's, as the clients will hop through the home router before reaching the actual ISP router on the other end.

Are you still following me? Because I need to add one last nuance. As was stated earlier, the Internet is immense, with millions of computers accessible on it. Aside from considerations of subnets, each computer needs something to identify it, so it can be identified and data routed to it... Many different ways were devised to do this, but the winner was IP (Internet Protocol), which identifies a computer with a 32-bit value divided in four bytes. I'll skip the rest of the details, as they were mentioned in more or less details already.

Now, 32 bits means 4294967296 possible IPs... And if we want our computers to be identifiable, these IPs need to be unique and static, else we'd have a lot of trouble trying to find the same computer twice. For the sake of easier management, these IP possibilities were divided into smaller groups, which often happen to be the aforementioned subnets. ISPs and various other companies will reserve IP ranges to then assign their own IPs in these ranges to their computers.

But with the exponential growth of the Internet, a clear problem arose -- four billion IPs is a lot, but it may not be enough as there are many more computers than there are users. If we were to give an unique IP to each machine, we'd quickly run out. For the sake of economy and simplicity, it was decided that some machines did not need to have the same, unique IP assigned. For example, the average internet user doesn't need their computer to be easily found at the same address -- she only wants to easily find other computers. And what if the computers on a given subnet change often, like laptops? Network admins would spend every waking hour assigning and removing addresses to computers.

To mend this, DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) is used among various ISPs and companies. Instead of always giving the same address to a given computer, a wide pool of possible addresses is made. Each time a computer connects to its ISP/network, the DHCP servers check to see what IPs are taken and what IPs are free in this pool and assign one of those free addresses to the new connection. (There are actually a lot more variables in play in assigning a DHCP address, but I'll spare you the gory details.)

This is all fine and well, but it doesn't fix the limited IP problem. If anything, it makes it worse, as ISPs and companies will need to reserve larger IP ranges just in case their network grows beyond what it already has. Giving a publically recognizable IP to each network would make demand explode beyond the 32-bit limit.

The IP engineers foresaw this, however, and declared at its very beginning that some IP ranges would be considered "private". For example, why would a home user and his four workstations, or a business company and its 1000 employees need to have unique IP addresses for each machine in the subnet? Again, we only want the machines to be able to reach others, not the other way around. Therefore, "private" addresses are completely transparent, and only used within the subnet. As soon as a connection crosses this subnet's gateway, it will be seen as the "public" IP, that of the router's.

Therefore, 99% of home routers, and even a few ISPs will use private IPs within their networks, preventing some of the excess IP demand. Private IPs have advantages as well as disadvantages... The main advantage: you can't access the private computers unless you specifically make it possible. This makes for easy and simple security. And the main disadvantage: you can't access the private computers unless you specifically make it possible. So it complicates things if you want to have a file server accessible from the Internet, or simply host a netgame!

And last, you can easily identify a private address as it will be within these ranges: 10.*.*.*, 127.*.*.*, 172.16.*.* and, the most widespread, 192.168.0.*.

Whew, I went a bit more indepth than I expected... And that's only the icing on the cake. There's a lot of other systems devised to enhance this huge network, from DNS to IPv6... And I haven't even mentioned the hardware part. There's a ton of in-depth HOWTOs out there, but I tried to sum it up here. This crash course should be enough to let you understand a good part of your home network. Now once I'm done eating, I'll skip over to your other topic to describe iptables and what it can do for you. ;)

Back