Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Traveling to the UK

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 07-26-05, 02:01 AM Thread Starter   #1
maxxoverclocker

Question Traveling to the UK

hey you guys, ive got a quick question for those of you that have visited/live in europe. im going on a church group trip to europe and my mom is stressed out about the recent 'attacks' and the person leading the group recomended we do things that i believe would make our group stand out like a sore thumb. one of the tips was to wear your backpack on the front of your body now i don't know if thats common practice in the uk but that sure as hell isn't normal here in san diego. so if you guys could give me any tips on traveling it would be greatly appreciated thx
maxxoverclocker is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-26-05, 05:16 AM   #2
Crana

lmao!

I would personally rofl if i saw people wearing backpacks on there front

I suppose a tip would be to watch out for pick pockets and the like

Where in the UK are you visiting?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz with Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme // Asus P5Q Deluxe // PowerColor ATI HD 4870 with Zalman VF1000 // 4GB Corsair DDR2 PC 6400 RAM // 640GB WD HDD // Corsair 620W HX // Antec P182 // Samsung SyncMaster 21.6" // Windows 7 64-bit

Crana is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-26-05, 05:49 AM   #3
Flip-Mode

BackPack on the front?? I'm sorry but I've been to Swisserland, France, Hungary and I have never seen that...
Maybe someone from the UK can clerify that...

Old 07-26-05, 07:29 AM   #4
coin

seeing as all the attacks have been random (in terms of vicitms and not places) there isn't really anything you can do that will make any difference other than not go. Wearing a rucksack is not going to get you arrested, there will be thousands of them being worn all over Europe, just don't do anything dum (now is not the time for practical jokes)
coin is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-26-05, 08:22 AM   #5
mage_x

10 Year Badge

Definitely do not wear your backpacks on the front - you will just look like some tourist moron and everyone will probably give you strange looks and laugh.
mage_x is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-26-05, 08:33 AM   #6
willkill1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by mage_x
Definitely do not wear your backpacks on the front - you will just look like some tourist moron and everyone will probably give you strange looks and laugh.
Kind of thing I do . (the laughing at the tourists)

Yeah, it's pretty safe. Millions of people use public transport every day in London and how many people died on that one day? It's not a particularly dangerous place to be.
willkill1337 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-26-05, 11:08 AM   #7
Malpine Walis
Disabled

I have to say, that ranks up there with the myth that there is some country (usually one that I know some friend of mine will be visiting) where you have to belch and fart loudly after every meal or you will insult your host. It sounds to me like someone is trying to have some fun at your expense.

Another one that I am slightly famous for is whenever I find out that someone is going to Central America, I wait until the day before they leave and then tell them that I heard on the radio on the way to work that there has just been a revolution there and it may not be safe to go. You would be surprised at how often I can make someone panic and call their travel agent.

Seriously dude, I would bet that the State Department probably has an office for travelers to determine what the local customs are. I would sooner believe what they have to say than I would believe a friends (or my own) advice.
Malpine Walis is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-26-05, 04:37 PM Thread Starter   #8
maxxoverclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mage_x
haha yeah thats what i was thinking, thanks everybody for the tips- i think im gonna stick with my own thoughts on what to do instead of their little booklet of "keeping safe" tips lmao thanks again and keep offering tips if you would like

edit: lets see... im visiting London, Rome, Eindhoven, Dusseldorf, Amsterdam, Frankfurt. yeah thats all of em- note that some i'll only be visiting for a couple of hours

Last edited by maxxoverclocker; 07-26-05 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-26-05, 04:54 PM   #9
Kevin007

well, if you are in a crowded subway and you are afraid someone is going to pickpocket you, protect your bag. It isn't that hard, lol

ATI Radeon HD 4800
Kevin007 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-26-05, 05:14 PM   #10
ninthebin

lol we may drive on the "wrong" side of the road but were not that backward

my suggestion would be no back pack at all - if your able to leave it in the place your staying, just take what you need for the day. Buy a football shirt and drink plenty of larger/beer at all times of the day and you will blend in easy
ninthebin is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-26-05, 05:22 PM Thread Starter   #11
maxxoverclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninthebin
lol we may drive on the "wrong" side of the road but were not that backward

my suggestion would be no back pack at all - if your able to leave it in the place your staying, just take what you need for the day. Buy a football shirt and drink plenty of larger/beer at all times of the day and you will blend in easy
haha, the problem is that we will be staying in many different places and have to have our backback with us at all times (only thing we are allowed to bring and have to last 2 weeks)
Old 07-26-05, 05:40 PM   #12
Flip-Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxoverclocker
haha yeah thats what i was thinking, thanks everybody for the tips- i think im gonna stick with my own thoughts on what to do instead of their little booklet of "keeping safe" tips lmao thanks again and keep offering tips if you would like

edit: lets see... im visiting London, Rome, Eindhoven, Dusseldorf, Amsterdam, Frankfurt. yeah thats all of em- note that some i'll only be visiting for a couple of hours
I don't know how old are you and if you are pro-drugs but Amsterdam has some good Marry Jane and its 100% legal
When my dad was in London he got his ass groubed by a gay person (I'm polliticaly correct) in the middle of the street because the gay dude thought he had a cute ass, go figure.
Rome has some GOOD food, they have this dried ham bacon that you eat un fried and its something to die for.

Old 07-26-05, 05:44 PM Thread Starter   #13
maxxoverclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip-Mode
I don't know how old are you and if you are pro-drugs but Amsterdam has some good Marry Jane and its 100% legal
When my dad was in London he got his ass groubed by a gay person (I'm polliticaly correct) in the middle of the street because the gay dude thought he had a cute ass, go figure.
Rome has some GOOD food, they have this dried ham bacon that you eat un fried and its something to die for.
lmao, well im 16 and those are some interesting tips... to say in the least lol
Old 07-26-05, 06:20 PM   #14
deez

10 Year Badge

I've been to London and other parts of the UK and other than more abundant public transportation and slightly different style of dress London is just like any other large city. Just dress and act just like you would at home and you will be fine. My main tip would be make sure your passport is always on you and in a safe place. I have a passport wallet I keep in my front pocket that I picked up for a few $$$.

And bring travellers checks instead of lots of cash and leave the receipts for the checks in your luggage or back at home. You will have to exchange US currency for sterling in the UK and I believe you will use euro everywhere else so no need to worry about tons of different currency.

Old 07-26-05, 08:37 PM   #15
Malpine Walis
Disabled

One point on the currency conversion: Don't convert dollars>pounds>euros if you can avoid it. Convert doallars to both pounds and euros in seperate transactions to avoid overpaying for stuff.

A friend of mine did that on a trip one time (it was actually a few years ago and he changed way too much during an airport layover). At the end of the trip, we figured that he spent like $50 for one hamburger because of the extra changes to unnescessary amounts of cash.
Malpine Walis is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.