• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fathom1990

As you can see from my sig, I currently have a Socket A based system and I want to get a new 939 based rig. I had in mind:

• An Abit AX8 v2.0
  • A Athlon 64 3200 Venice
  • A Geforce 6800 something
  • 1GB of 3200 (GeiL from my current PC)
  • 200 GB Seagate (from current PC)

I'm looking to spend around £400 to £500 ($695 to $870) in total. Has anybody any suggestions, either on where to get stuff (in the UK), what might be better for the same price, or any problems with the spec above. Thanks.

Ditch that motherboard and go with the Epox nForce4 Ultra and get a 3700+ SD or a 3000+ Venice(depends how much you're willing to spend). You could probably get a 6800gt for a very nice price right now and the RAM you have is excellent. The hard drive looks fine too.

-1cem4n

Get the Epox board as it is a good overclocker for the price. If you can afford the DFI NF4 it is a step ahead in terms of overclocking and tweaking. Get the 3000+ since all venices basically OC the same. You could with the cash saved get something like a X800XL or 6800GT. I would get w/e is cheaper.

Fathom1990 said:
How does the VIA K8T890 stand up against nF4 in terms of OCing?
Not so good actually, google some reviews of boards with the VIA chipset and you will see and I believe Toms Hardware have a direct comparison between the boards.

1cem4n said:
You could probably get a 6800gt for a very nice price right now and the RAM you have is excellent.

-1cem4n

I beg to differ. I doubt he would be able to get anywhere with OCing with it, especially with my experience, but I'm using the VS. If he's lucky he might have the modules with UTT, (2-2-2-5 @ 200). And he's not even going DFI (NF4) which would make it even harder.

Geil RAM usually OCs extremely well... I personally use OCZ because I can get it for discount from a friend's mother. I've seen the Geils do admirably and if he already has decent OC ram, then why bother getting new RAM?

-1cem4n

How does the Abit AN8 nF4 ultra stack up against the Epox nF4 ultra and the DFI ultra-D, I know that the DFI is the best, but how big are the gaps?

DFI is good for overclocking, Asus and the Epox are good if you're only doing some mild overclocking as they are very stable at stock speeds. I don't really like Abit IMO because of the fact that my friend's socket just snapped off one day.

-1cem4n

I personally do not like Abit either. The Epox is a good overclocker thogh. You can see here.

The Epox 9NPA+ Ultra is the fastest board in the roundup at stock speeds. It was also the highest overclocker at stock speeds, and the second highest overclocker when the bus was overclocked. The Epox is an incredible value whether you are looking for a board that will run fast with stability at stock speeds or a board that will satisfy almost any Athlon 64 enthusiast. The range of overclocking options and the overclocked performance are among the best that we have seen, falling short only in the memory voltage area, which tops out at 3.1V. The feature set is more or less average for Ultra boards, but the overall performance is clearly standout. Based on the standout performance and solid overclocking that we achieved with the Athlon 64, we are pleased to award the AnandTech Gold Editors Choice to the Epox 9NPA+ Ultra motherboard.

The DFI nForce4 boards were designed first and foremost for the Athlon 64 Enthusiast. The DFI nF4 Ultra is the exact same board, same BIOS, and same performance as the DFI SLI motherboard. The only difference is the Ultra and SLI versions of the same chipset. The DFI exhibits above average performance at stock speeds, but it is the best overclocker of bus speeds that we have ever tested - reaching 318x9 with a 4000+ CPU. It was also just behind the Epox in overclocking at stock speeds. The DFI nF4 boards remain to be the only motherboards to fully support high voltage high-speed 2-2-2 memory with memory voltages to 4.0V for OCZ VX and Mushkin Redline memory. The DFI LANParty UT nF4 Ultra-D is the ultimate enthusiast board at a value price with overclocking performance that will never require an apology. DFI's nForce4 boards have quickly become a legend among enthusiasts.

So both are great boards and I recommend both after seeing many people being satisfied with both. With the DFI is really an enthusiast board and you may have to mess around to get it to work properly and you may have stability problems. So if you really want to tweak your system get the DFI. If you just want a stable board that will still OC fairly well I would recommend the Epox.

hmm... I haven't seen the Epox around because the name "LanParty" is much more attractive than "EP-9NPA+Ultra" name that Epox uses. It's almost as bad as the Foxconns. lol. Epox boards are very good in my opinion still.

-1cem4n

Back