• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I see why QMDs were held up for a while and so many big guys quit.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoT

You can't fire me, I have
I got a QMD on my work machine yesterday (2GHz P4 with 512Mb of RAM) and jesus, it's CRIPPLING my system. I could barely use Photoshop, everything takes ages to process (I work with 1200+ pixel wide images). I hope this thing gets done soon, because it hurts :(

Things will improve some after convergenge (no later than frame 9) when the core drops memory usage down from 350 MB to 210 MB or so. If you want the points, you just might have to turn off FAH while you're working. You'll still outproduce any other WU you fold, as long as you remember to turn it back on when you're not using it. My daughter complains bitterly in the preconvergence phase of the QMDs on her 1.5 GHz 512MB machine. I tell her to shut up and FOLD, but she's figured out how to turn FAH off, sometimes nicely and sometimes not depending on her mood. Take -advmethods off and you won't get them anymore. You'll still be able to get every other big WU currently available.

It's at 30%, it's not getting better. :(

In that case you have three choices, turn it off while you work, drop the -advmethods flag, or add 512MB of ram.

It's difficult to work while your computer is screaming out in pain ;)

Have you guys noticed my place in the stats? ;)

Guys, a little word of advice to all: Any WORK related machines should NOT HAVE BIG PACKETS ENABLED PERIOD. kthxbye. :D

muddocktor said:
Unless you don't like your job and are looking for a reason to get sacked. :eek: :D
LMAO! Yeah really. There are quite a few (w00rk) machines I could have BP's enabled on, but I would cease folding on those machines before I enabled big packets on them.

It doesn't hurt as much on a HT P4. I do have to say, these QMDs just rack up points. Now I'm having second thoughts about selling my P4 mobo Proc for an athlon 64. If big packetts are holding up your work rig, tell the boss man or woman that you need better rigs. Tell them that you can't get any work done because your box keeps folding then they;ll think folding means that the machines are getting tired and old.

AlabamaCajun said:
It doesn't hurt as much on a HT P4. I do have to say, these QMDs just rack up points. Now I'm having second thoughts about selling my P4 mobo Proc for an athlon 64. If big packetts are holding up your work rig, tell the boss man or woman that you need better rigs. Tell them that you can't get any work done because your box keeps folding then they;ll think folding means that the machines are getting tired and old.
New machines are coming in a couple of months :D

AlabamaCajun said:
It has nothing to do with the CPU Alabama, it has to do with it hogging up 300+ MB of ram. Even with 1GB of ram, it can get dicey depending on what other tasks the machine is running.

Back