• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigaram 1gig dual3200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ochungry

Hi,
I am a noob here. Been reading all the posts on Gigaram and find it not too many overclocker enthusiasts are happy about this ram 2-2-2-5 3200 series.
and others have had many complaints on 3700 and 3500
Well I just bought 1gig dual(2x512) from newegg along w/ chaintech-S1689 and AMD64 3000+ (Venice) socket 939.
I bought a cheapo mobo because I am hesitant on upgrading too far since AMD and Intel are at war w/ new products keep coming out(example: Intel's 8xx dual core and AMD's DDR500 and DDR2 w/ bios updates) and all hardware manuf. are in transition because of this.
So for the fun of it, I decided throwing $120 at Gigaram and weigh it to see how heavy, or can it compete w/ OCZ,Corsair,Mushkin, etc..
I know you are going to say why chaintech? it does not overclock as good as DFI or Epox, etc. But I have a Good AGP card and Chaintech uses AGP instead of PCIe, and bought at mwave.com for $49; and as said, didn’t want to spend too much money.
For those who have had bad experience w/ Gigaram, and those on sideline hearing all the remarks on this Ram, I will test my setup for overclocking and will let you know if this ram can do the job.
If I can get a decent OC on my cheap mobo, then you should know it will do better on your high end system. And if I do poorly, then more power to Corsair, OCZ etc.., and would confirm the negatives, helping those who are still interested to know.
Wish me luck.
Thanks

Last edited:
I've had good overclocking with my 512MB PC3200 stick, but it was manufactured, like, 4 weeks ago, so maybe thats why. Cost me $40 and it has a silver heatspreader on it, gonna look good in my new case :D

techparadise.com has fantastic review on this Ram

NsOmNiA91130 said:
I've had good overclocking with my 512MB PC3200 stick, but it was manufactured, like, 4 weeks ago, so maybe thats why. Cost me $40 and it has a silver heatspreader on it, gonna look good in my new case :D

Techparadise.com has a great review on this 3200 series. Below is a link to the review. I just cant understand why many members here have had so much complaint on the ram. Also if checking their website, it says 2-2-2-5 is for AMD only. So I don know if those having problems used it on Intel w/ that setting and ran into problem.
But I am happy for you. So far you are the only member here having luck w/ this Ram. I hope I do too.
Thanks for your reply.
http://www.buddhaslanroom.com/content/view/208/26/

i bought some corsair xms pc2700 three years ago, 2.0cas. it never clocked more than 3mhz past stock at good timings. (2.7vdimm max)

6 months ago, i pried off the heatspreaders and found it was winbond bh6! :)

now it goes 245mhz @ 2-2-2-10 @3.3v (i love my dfi250gb, see sig)

so good luck with your ram! be sure to burn it in! then clock, clock, clock again, run more vdimm, then more clock, just be sure to keep the magic smoke inside it.

Most people say its bad ram because back when we first saw it a bunch of people jumped on it because of the price. Unfortunatly they bought the wrong type so gigaram got a bad name. The better stuff is the Mach1 series, the plain is the stuff people had problems with. I've seen some good results and some bad so its just another value ram selection, its all luck.

MailOrderSausag said:
i bought some corsair xms pc2700 three years ago, 2.0cas. it never clocked more than 3mhz past stock at good timings. (2.7vdimm max)

6 months ago, i pried off the heatspreaders and found it was winbond bh6! :)

now it goes 245mhz @ 2-2-2-10 @3.3v (i love my dfi250gb, see sig)

so good luck with your ram! be sure to burn it in! then clock, clock, clock again, run more vdimm, then more clock, just be sure to keep the magic smoke inside it.

Thanks. Will do. and let you know the results

wannaoc said:
Most people say its bad ram because back when we first saw it a bunch of people jumped on it because of the price. Unfortunatly they bought the wrong type so gigaram got a bad name. The better stuff is the Mach1 series, the plain is the stuff people had problems with. I've seen some good results and some bad so its just another value ram selection, its all luck.

Yes I understand that sometimes depending on ur luck u might get good oc out of value rams.
But this gigaram shows the spec. being very tight and in performance category, and a lot cheaper. This is why I am interested in giving it a try. Also to see if it is TCCx series (as some are claiming), taking the "heatsink" off.

The "plain" stuff was reported by GigaRam to me (I called) to be either Hynix or Elixir chips on the 1GB sticks. Basically, I just RMA'd for some Patriot that actually runs really well (haven't OC'd yet). The rep also said that the Mach 1000 series is Samsung IC's.

Kil4Thril said:
The "plain" stuff was reported by GigaRam to me (I called) to be either Hynix or Elixir chips on the 1GB sticks. Basically, I just RMA'd for some Patriot that actually runs really well (haven't OC'd yet). The rep also said that the Mach 1000 series is Samsung IC's.

I didnt get what u saying. did they tell u gigaram mach 1000 was samsung, If so do u know which one TCCD, or TCC5?
Both are good but TCCD is discontinued and hard to come by.

They said the Mach's were TCCD at that point (about a month ago), but maybe they've had to go to TCC5 by now. IDK. The regular 1GB stick I have can be verified as Hynix D-43, which is TOTALLY incompatable with the board I'm using. :(

Progress report

ochungry said:
Hi,
I am a noob here. Been reading all the posts on Gigaram and find it not too many overclocker enthusiasts are happy about this ram 2-2-2-5 3200 series.
and others have had many complaints on 3700 and 3500
Well I just bought 1gig dual(2x512) from newegg along w/ chaintech-S1689 and AMD64 3000+ (Venice) socket 939.
I bought a cheapo mobo because I am hesitant on upgrading too far since AMD and Intel are at war w/ new products keep coming out(example: Intel's 8xx dual core and AMD's DDR500 and DDR2 w/ bios updates) and all hardware manuf. are in transition because of this.
So for the fun of it, I decided throwing $120 at Gigaram and weigh it to see how heavy, or can it compete w/ OCZ,Corsair,Mushkin, etc..
I know you are going to say why chaintech? it does not overclock as good as DFI or Epox, etc. But I have a Good AGP card and Chaintech uses AGP instead of PCIe, and bought at mwave.com for $49; and as said, didn’t want to spend too much money.
For those who have had bad experience w/ Gigaram, and those on sideline hearing all the remarks on this Ram, I will test my setup for overclocking and will let you know if this ram can do the job.
If I can get a decent OC on my cheap mobo, then you should know it will do better on your high end system. And if I do poorly, then more power to Corsair, OCZ etc.., and would confirm the negatives, helping those who are still interested to know.
Wish me luck.
Thanks

Well finally the gigaram arrived yesterday and bad news.
I was very excited about testing these gigaram sticks(2x512), mach 1000,
First I installed both rams, in my chaintech mobo, A64 3000+ Venice, and booted up the computer without messing w/ the clock. The boot screen showed 1024 Mb @ 333mhz, single channel. the winxp did not start and kept rebooting. I tried other dimms every which way but machine would not start. So my initial installation was correct but screen showed 333Mhz instead of 400mhz.
then, I took one stick out, and no boot screen, comp. frozen.
I replace the ram w/ the other stick. The comp. booted up showing 400mhz, single 512 Mb, but winxp did not start and kept rebooting.
I clear the CMOS and tried the 2 stick again. This time the boot stopped at partial mem test. Rebooted 3-4 times and no luck, always freezing at partial mem test during boot.
For the last time I repeated the one stick option and only one stick was able to take me to win start, but again rebooting automatically. The 2nd stick never worked in any dimm I installed it, and was sent to me defective.
Conclusion: GIGARAM IS BAD PRODUCT. DON’T BUY THIS RAM.
I say this because so many people are having problems w/ this ram and it is not worth giving it a try. Best to buy what is known to be reliable.
I am sending both sticks back to Newegg for full refund.

ochungry said:
Well finally the gigaram arrived yesterday and bad news.
SNIP

Sorry to hear it. Your luck was exactly as mine. I sold my second pair to a local P4 user who LOVES them (2x1GB playing BF2). They just wouldn't work for me, but mine would at least boot. :bang head

Back