• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8rda+ at 200? Prime 95 doesn't like it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

enobiko

Registered
I just upgraded my bios to 04212 on my 8rda+, and found that the CAS 2.0 timings I have been striving for should be changed to 2.5, as this is an AMD board. Well, I don't understand, but I'll go with that.
Anyway, I have a XP 1700 that I can run at 2GHz at either 166, 185 or 200 MHz fsb, depending on my multiplier. It works fine at 166 and 185, but it crapped out in Prime 95 at 200 MHz within a minute. This is way over what the board was designed for, but many have gotten it to go that high. Because the JIUHB week 0319 runs default 1.5 volts, I had to up it a bit, I forgot to record how much before I flashed the bios, so now I'm guessing 1.575. I run the Vdimm at 2.77 (the second highest setting, I think the 2.9 is over the acceptable voltage for the DIMM). Since the processor runs fine at a lower fsb with a higher multplier (same 2 GHz) I figure it is something on the motherboard, not the processor itself.
Any way I can get this FSB higher without resorting to voltage mods and cooling fins on the capacitors? I'm happy to have the fsb above 166, but since I prefer to run my memory and processor FSBs at a 1:1 ratio, I'd prefer 200MHz.
Oh, I just got my Radeon 9800 Pro-U today, I need to download the drivers and have at it! The Radeon 7500 is just too old and slow.

Hmm, so you're sure it aint memory? If not, test it with Memtest86...

Im using a newer version, the 8rda3i board and managed to raise its FSB by lapping the NB chip, lapping the heatsink and mounting on a 55mm fan. Im also using a HS on the SB only with no fan there...But prior to going there, I would suggest you eliminate what ain't causing the problem.

Also, whats your NB voltage (Vdd)?

I tested the memory with memtest 3.1 for several loops before running Prime95. I'm running fairly easy timings on it, too, considering that this is Corsair PC3200 memory (8-3-3 2.5). I should run SuperPi on it when I get a chance.
I took off the NB HS and put some thermal paste on, but it isn't Arctic Silver or Ceramic. It WAS really good paste back in the days of P IIIs, better than generic Radio Schlock paste. No HS on the SB, however.
I don't think Vdd is modifyable/displayable on my model, I'll check when I get home. Well, I've heard of voltage mods, but they are very involved. It seems to be running fine at 185 so far. I don't wanna spend money on an active heat sink for my Northie and a passive sink for my Southie, I'd rather spend the same amount of money for more memory. My money is real tight right now, another 256 stick of Corsair XMS ram isn't cheap by my standards...
Ah, just checked and OF COURSE my vdd is changeable! (blush) It was running at 1.6v now 1.8v and Prime 95 crashes within a minute, still. Guess I go back to 185 and work my way up... My core V is 1.75 now, my mem is running at... 2.72?? I forgot to get an exact voltage while I was there! Anyway, the middle of the 3 choices, I don't wanna try the highest (2.9V??) because I think it is too high and might void my warranty, which I don't have. Well, anyway, it might fry my memory, or at least it's "not supported". Neither is overclocking, eh? But, I don't fear meltdown because I think I'm several hundred MHz below the max of this CPU.
Dean

Last edited:
from what I understand prime95 has trouble with the older athlons (my 2500+ barton also crashes during a minute of blending prime95)

I never had trouble with either my 1700 jiuhb or my 2500 barton core.
Problem was when kid was introduced to it, he cooked the 1700 by putting the hsf on backwards (I miss that cpu, smokes this sempron out the gate and down the road).
Both cpus' ran prime stable. The 1700 ran 2,200 MHz (200x11), and the barton ran 2,500MHz (200x12.5), both on water.
Try overvolting your memory to the next step, maybe 2.8, and try the same test without changing anything else. Remeber to do only one thing at a time and track your progress so when you do make a mistake or improvement, youll be able to know what you did wrong or right.
8rda+ is a great overclocker with the right parts, so you shouldnt have much trouble with getting it up to 200fsb.
Another trick... Isolate the memory from the cpu speed, meaning run the cpu at lower than stock multis and see what you get. get it to go up as high as you can and still be stable, then back down a slight bit and bring the cpu speed up again.

Here's the latest: I was wrong about the CPU voltage, I never ran 1.75! I am now running 1.55 volts with the CPU at 11.5@190, it ran prime 95 for 10 hours with no error. Trying 12X190 at 1.625 volts crashed after 2 hours, and the CPU temp went up to 52 degrees with the fan speed on high. I could maybe get it to go at 1.65, but that means more heat/temp, and I'm pretty satisfied with an over 50% overclock.
I will try tweaking the memory further, 190 is just a guess between 183 and 200 (which it doesn't seem to like.) I'll drop the CPU multiplier so that I'm sure it's the mem being tested, and not the CPU maxing out. Then, I'll see if the CPU can handle the extra few MHz. That will be pretty small returns, though, it's now running like a 2600+. Now I have my 9800 Pro, so I can use the extra speed. Prior, I had a Radeon 7500, and was really GPU bound.

Back