• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best PSU for 250 shipped? 300?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

four4875

right now i have $140 in my wallet, and i'll getanother $100 to spend this pay. Right now i have a $12 400 watt A POWER (thing dented when i squeezed it tightening the screws to hold it in my case, they didnt seem to be pre tapped) that my dad bought me to have me goin when my ante died. this thing seems to put out more heat than my CPU, and i jsut added 4 SATA hard drives to it. right now its runnin a S754 2800@2160 mhz, asrock k8 combo-Z mobo, 512 megs of cheap pc3200, fx5500U vid card, SB audigy platinum and its drive tihng, a dvd rom and a cdrw,a maxtor 80/7200/ata133 drive, 4 seagate 80/7200/sata drives and a crappy highpoint controller card i just got. and 3 80mm tornados@12V, a TT 3 bladed fan, and a powmax pos 80mm fan with the LEDs removed. with one tornado and TT exausting, and a tornado and cheapo intake, the PSU seems to not be able to pull hard enough to move any air. if i turn off the tornado and TT it moves a nice bit of air (although it does have a tornado pushing air into the case as well) but as it sits it is a teeny breez of HOT air. so i want to replace it, and wanna know what i can get for $250 or so, or i can wait to spend about $300 or even 350 or so if it will get me much better.

im so out of date, im not sure where 24 pin is bein used, or the 6 pin connectors and all, caus i would like to eventually replace my 754 with a 939 and a dfi board with a nice lil sli. and i would like ot throw a nice mover of a fan in (or even outside of) the psu so it can ocntend with the case fans and all. orders from newegg re preferred, but i can work with others. and links and reasons for the reccomendations are nice.

sorry that was pretty long of a post.

four4875 said:
right now i have $140 in my wallet, and i'll getanother $100 to spend this pay. Right now i have a $12 400 watt A POWER (thing dented when i squeezed it tightening the screws to hold it in my case, they didnt seem to be pre tapped) that my dad bought me to have me goin when my ante died. this thing seems to put out more heat than my CPU, and i jsut added 4 SATA hard drives to it. right now its runnin a S754 2800@2160 mhz, asrock k8 combo-Z mobo, 512 megs of cheap pc3200, fx5500U vid card, SB audigy platinum and its drive tihng, a dvd rom and a cdrw,a maxtor 80/7200/ata133 drive, 4 seagate 80/7200/sata drives and a crappy highpoint controller card i just got. and 3 80mm tornados@12V, a TT 3 bladed fan, and a powmax pos 80mm fan with the LEDs removed. with one tornado and TT exausting, and a tornado and cheapo intake, the PSU seems to not be able to pull hard enough to move any air. if i turn off the tornado and TT it moves a nice bit of air (although it does have a tornado pushing air into the case as well) but as it sits it is a teeny breez of HOT air. so i want to replace it, and wanna know what i can get for $250 or so, or i can wait to spend about $300 or even 350 or so if it will get me much better.

im so out of date, im not sure where 24 pin is bein used, or the 6 pin connectors and all, caus i would like to eventually replace my 754 with a 939 and a dfi board with a nice lil sli. and i would like ot throw a nice mover of a fan in (or even outside of) the psu so it can ocntend with the case fans and all. orders from newegg re preferred, but i can work with others. and links and reasons for the reccomendations are nice.

sorry that was pretty long of a post.

Personaly I wouldn't spend that much on a power supply. I'd get either a Seasonic S12-600 (ewiz has it for 130 shipped!) or an OCZ Powerstream 520. You could also get a modded seasonic here... http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=270&products_id=3155

As you can tell, I'm a fan of the seasonic ;) I think its one of the best supplies on the market because of its high efficieny (lower heat output) and very low noise.

If you really have to spend theat much then I guess go with the PCP&C Turbo Cool 510.

I tend to spend alot on computer parts when I buy them, but I wouldn't spend that much on a power supply unless I had a system that was extremely expensive. Maybe if I had a dual core with a 7800GTX SLi setup, Raptors in RAID, 2 gig of Gold Gamers RAM, water, etc... if I had that much in a system then I would consider a PC P&C PSU, but I'd still have to think long and hard after running one of these OCZ 520's.

These OCZ PowwerStream 520's are just outstanding. For 139 I just don't think they can be beat. I haven't been able to find a PSU that has all the features this one does for this low of a price, and it'll do snything the megaabuck PC P&C will do.

If you notice my sig, I have a OC'd Prescott DO stepping CPU. Nothing, and do mean nothing puts a hurting on a PSU more than pne of these things. Especially with the vid card I have. This OCZ doesn't even get warm! The OC I'm running doesn't even phase it.

I just can't see spending anymore than that when this thing is as good as it is. The difference between the OCZ and PC P&C is marginal, but the price difference is enough to give you sticker shock. Your just paying too much for the name with PC P&C. They need to come off those prices.

ok, well i will spend up to that much. i plan to (hope to) upgrade to a 939 dfi lp with sli and all the goodies, 1 gb of ram, dual 6800s, all my hard drive mess, the roms, all the fun stuff. i want the psu to be able to handle it without a problem, i havnt evne looked at newegg, i wanted to see what the suggestions are. i might even be thinking about $100 off from what i looked at back a while ago. and 4x sata power connectors would be nice, o i dont have to fuss with the adapters i am now. sometimes i wonder if my current "400 watt" psu puts out more heat than my vid card, an that bugger gets quite warm it seems. I'd like to have a MO on its way tomorrow after work so hopefully I'll get the psu sometime early next wek, prolly morel iek late next week tho.

so what's the price tag on a goo quality 600 watt psu? i love my antec compared to this piece i have now, sturdy onstruction, didnt crumple in my hand, and it seemed to take (almost) everything i threw at it, except when i tried pullin around 800 watts on the 12V rail, that killed the poor thing. i learned my lesson from that, now its just strictly comp hardware on it haha.

four4875 said:
ok, well i will spend up to that much. i plan to (hope to) upgrade to a 939 dfi lp with sli and all the goodies, 1 gb of ram, dual 6800s, all my hard drive mess, the roms, all the fun stuff.

In that case, the only unit I would drop from my previous recommendations is the FSP AX500-A, and increase the Seasonic recommendation to the 600w only. The rest can run all that easily.

Above 600w, except for the PC P&C 850w, Zippy pretty much runs the show. There are cheaper places to get them than Newegg I hear.

Well, if price is no object how can we forget the monster units from Zippy. Nothing says power supply like 45amps on the 12v rail :p. And for you duel 12v guys they have one with 26 and 20 on each rail.

its nto quite money isnt an object.... its just that im willing to spend what it takes to get a great power supply, although not enough for that 850 watt beast.... just something that will run good and keep me set on power for a while.

1. PCPower&Cooling 850 $469.00
2. Turbo-Cool® 510 Express $219.00
3. OCZ PowerStream 600W $199.99
4. OCZ PowerStream 520W $135.00

I understand your need for a great PSU and have no monetary limits. But for the system your considering, a OCZ PowerStream 520W is going to work perfectly. If you REALLY have that much money, go up to a OCZ Powerstream 600W to make sure you have enough power for everything.

I'd recommend the PCPower&Cooling ones, but their pretty expensive. Let's say, the PCP&C PSU's are 100% rock solid, and the OCZ one's at 99.9% rock solid. Your choice.

Eh, the 600w OCZ may not be the best choice due to its duel 12v rail design. I recommend you do some reading before looking at that psu.

Back