• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Consitering Phase change. Have some questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkVirusVx

First, I have look though the theards here and it sames VERY complicated. I'm not an idiot when t comes to electronics but at the same time I have no real training besides life.

so is it as hard as it seems?
How many hours did your first build take?
And whats the price range?

Can a a/c be converted into a phase change easily?

what about moisture? is it a big factor?

Can one unit cool my cpu,video and ram?

DarkVirusVx said:
First, I have look though the theards here and it sames VERY complicated. I'm not an idiot when t comes to electronics but at the same time I have no real training besides life.

so is it as hard as it seems?
How many hours did your first build take?
And whats the price range?

Can a a/c be converted into a phase change easily?

what about moisture? is it a big factor?

Can one unit cool my cpu,video and ram?

Well, how hard doe sit seem to you? before you build anything, you better atleast have the basics down.

how many hours? maybe 20-ish, but then my first build was anything but simple.

A/c are very easy to convert.

Moisture is a big factor.

One unit cna cool your cpu and gpu, your gpu will keep the vpu ram cool.

Been thinking about putting together a phase change system myself as well.

The easiest method would be to purchase a window A/C unit for cheap. That way you'll have most of the parts (condensor, compressor, etc...) leaving only the evaporator to be constructed.

I think the most difficult part of this project would be obtaining the refrigerant (may require a certificate to purchase refrigerants) along with the equipment needed to recharge the system (i.e. gauges, hoses, valves...).

I read somewhere (I think it was on Xtreme Systems) that if BBQ propane is going to be used as the refrigerant then there would be no point trying to remove moisture from the system since the propane itself contains lots of moisture.

I assume the moisture reference was in regards to condensation. Regardless of the refridgerant, sub ambient temps you need to be concerned with this. Certainly phase change qualifies for that :)

Deathknight said:
I assume the moisture reference was in regards to condensation. Regardless of the refridgerant, sub ambient temps you need to be concerned with this. Certainly phase change qualifies for that :)

I was referring to moisture circulating inside of the system. There are lots of guides on how to remove moisture from the system before its charged such as this one (http://www.xtremeresources.com/modu...ons&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=7&page=5). I just don't remember why it should be removed. Perhaps it'll react with the refrigerant and damage the compressor??

Masakari said:
I was referring to moisture circulating inside of the system. There are lots of guides on how to remove moisture from the system before its charged such as this one (http://www.xtremeresources.com/modu...ons&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=7&page=5). I just don't remember why it should be removed. Perhaps it'll react with the refrigerant and damage the compressor??

Sorry I should have been more specific. I was refering DarkVirusVx's reference to moisture, not yours :)

The biggest problem with moisture in a system is that it can freeze in the cap tube, blocking it. This will stop all refrigerant flow, and the evap won't cool anything.

In the long term moisture can cause damage to the entire system, but blocking the cap tube is the more pressing issue.

I wanted to do a phase set up last year, i figured it would cost about 150-250 for a cheap and easy beginer setup. I never got to far into it as I just did not have the funds avalible. Today on the way home I thought id stop and pick up a window a/c unit and jump in again, maybe I will im just afraid to actualy put it on MY baby, I would take it to some schools A+ class and apply it on an old 500 Mhz junker. For gas you can go to the store and buy Car a/c refill canisters I belive and use that, or propane thats the "legal" way and then theres ebay....

Back