• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newbzg

i was testing some power outlets with one of those power curciut testers that you can buy at hardware store..... and when its correct two lights show up, and on some of them only one light showed up meaning "no ground" or "open hot" and once even "hot/neu. reverse" .. my question is what does no ground mean and what does open hot means, i would assume that these are the ones that are simply not working, is that right ?????

thank you for all the help :)

no ground means that there is no wire connecting the outlet's third, round plug to the earth's physical ground. outside the home there should be somewhere a big long (at least 8 foot) copper rod in the ground, which is tied into the houses wiring. the ground is there for if anything goes wrong and power is going somewhere, it's better to go to the ground than through a person then ground. and theopen hot, my guess would be that the hot (blak wire in the wiring) is disconneted somewhere along the line. this could be just bd wiring, or a large appliance or power load could have actually pulled enough power to melt that wire somewhere, if this is the case you'e lucky the house didnt burn down from it.

I wouldnt try to repair it yourself, it's something best to leave to a professional, caus you could get hurt or damage your electronics (the computer and other goodies) or cause a fire. or if you rent im pretty sure the owner of the property is obligated to take care of it.

Back