• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacing my PSU...will it fit in my case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gig-O-Ram

This may seem like a stupid question, but are all PSUs (regardless of brand, output or anything else) pretty much the same size?

I am planning to replace my 400W V Power ATX with an OCZ Modstream 450W, and I want to know if I will have any problems with space or mounting considerations. Bear in mind I have never replaced a PSU before. My case is just sort of a generic case (I looked and cannot find any sort of make or brand info) and I am hoping I will be able to just take out the VP, and put in the OCZ.

The dimensions of my PSU are 5 7/8" X 5 1/2" X 3 5/16", and I'm guessing that corner mounting is standard?

Am I worried about nothing? Please help... :eh?:

aside from micro ATX, power supplies are generally the same size. but some are longer, usually the really high power ones. as long as it isnt too lon, you shouldnt have a problem.

four4875 said:
aside from micro ATX, power supplies are generally the same size. but some are longer, usually the really high power ones. as long as it isnt too lon, you shouldnt have a problem.

Yeah length is usually the only thing that changes in a power supply.. do you have anything obstructive in the next inch or so behind the supply? If not, you should have no problem.. if so, good luck :-]

perfectturmoil said:
Yeah length is usually the only thing that changes in a power supply.. do you have anything obstructive in the next inch or so behind the supply? If not, you should have no problem.. if so, good luck :-]

No, the space directly behind the unit is unobstructed. I have several inches of space to work with if the PS I'm getting is any longer than than the one that's in there.

Thank you for the advice. :cool:

Most PSU's are the same size. The only one I can think of that's longer is the OCZ PowerStream 520w

Yeah, all ATX PSUs are all the same height and width, some just has varying lengths. You can check the OCZ's specifications and measure to see if it fits.

In worst case scenario, mod it. :p

Almost all of the atx psus are the same size. The only one that biger is Pc&C 850w which require extra space.

My Powerstream 520ADJ is longer. It's also definitely more powerful too as someone mentioned earlier.

I pulled out a TT430 and replaced it with this 520ADJ PowerStream. Best move I ever made.

Check the amps on the rails of that modstream, and make sure they are enough for what you want to do. I looked at the modstreams back I was shopping around, and they didn;t have very strong rails like the PowerStreams.

3DFlyer said:
My Powerstream 520ADJ is longer. It's also definitely more powerful too as someone mentioned earlier.

I pulled out a TT430 and replaced it with this 520ADJ PowerStream. Best move I ever made.

Check the amps on the rails of that modstream, and make sure they are enough for what you want to do. I looked at the modstreams back I was shopping around, and they didn;t have very strong rails like the PowerStreams.

I admit I don't know that much about power supplies, but from what I can see by the numbers, this OCZ that I'm getting is at least better than the one I have right now. The output numbers on the OCZ 450W look like this:

+3.3V@28A, +5V@45A, +12V@26A, [email protected], -12V@1A, [email protected]

Where the numbers on my V Power 400W look like this:
+3.3V@26A, +5V@40A, +12V@17A, [email protected], [email protected], +5VSB@2A

So, it is some overall improvement, and I remember one of the PSU gurus telling me I should look for 25A or better on the the 12V rail if I wanted better gaming performance.

Main thing to look for in your case is anything that would impede a longer psu from fitting. For instance I have a case that has a metal bracket (the purpose of which eludes me since the psu is going to be screwed into the case!) along the rail that PSU slides into. It fits most atx PSUs without an issue, but my powerstream 520w was a bit too long and so the case needed a minor modifcation to fit it.

Back