• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best PSU for my system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

urbanlegend213

Registered
i am going to be running the system below (my signature thingy) and i need agood reliable power supply but i dont really want to spend more than 50 or 60 dollars

Two words: Fortron AX500-A.

Its cheap at ewiz.com (73 bucks i think). Rock solid rails for a good price. Cant find anything better for the price. (Plus, youve got a beast of a setup there!)

Whatever you do, dont buy a cheapo powersupply. All it takes is a powersupply to fry your pretty X2 (along with the rest of your system) like an egg. Alot of people recommend it, but im not sure if it is enough for your system. Wait for others to reply.

I love the setup BTW!

edit: forgot to mention that it is a 460w PSU. This --> AX500-A seems to fool alot of people (including myself) that it is 500w.

edit2: if you really want one of the BEST, i would recommend PC Power & Cooling 850w PSU but it is WAY out of your price range.

You don't have to recommend a PCP&C for something like that. Even an OCZ 600W can take X2 4800+ with two 7800GTXs.

You should get the Forton 550W one for about $90, or if you like stability, a OCZ PowerStream 520W is perfect, and it'll still run fine if you add another HDD or two.

This is not a $50-60 load. It's silly to talk about running $500 video cards off a $50 supply. Not to mention the cost of the cpu. Don't play games, figure out what a real suppy costs and decide that's how much you are going to spend. And if that's impossible put the parts in a pile and wait until you can afford to do it right.

The only even fairly affordable supply I would recommend for that would be the Sparkle FSP550-60PLG. It is fairly loud and hot-running, but can be quieted with a fan change to a degree and will drive any load you throw at it. The OCZ Powerstream 520 is also a good unit that will drive that system. Outside of that, I might try a Seasonic, but for that load I would not consider anything smaller than the 600W model.

I second Larva's remarks. You won't get better advice on a power unit for your system. 50 or 60 bucks on a PSU when you spent all that money on hardware?!?!?

Please! I beg you, do not skimp on a PSU on that rig. I can tell you this from past bad experience. It's not worth it. Cheap units will cause your system to run unstable at the very least, and more times than not, will fail causing the magic smoke to be let out of your CPU, your Graphics card, and will burn your HDD's in a snap of a finger. That might sound ridiculous, but it's happened many times...too many.

A good PSU can be bought for 100-150 bucks. No need for that 850 watt monster either. That PC P&C 850 would be way overkill, and would be a waste of money. It's just not needed. It's a great unit yes, but you could run 3 servers off of that thing! lol 520 watts is more than enough, and is even plenty to overclock that system to the max.

You'd be well served to take Larva's advice. He knows...absolutely, positively.

Last edited:
yup i have to agree with these guys......after you spend all that money on your rig, why risk taking half your components out because of a cheap psu?

Power supply is the most important thing in your system, spend more on it. You don't want your power supply to fry one day and take everything else with it.

Cullam3n said:
Sparkle FSP550-PLN
The FSP550-60PLN is a dual-rail version of the FSP550-60PLG. While its two 18A 12V rails matches the Seasonic S12-600's rating, I would choose the single 36A rail of the PLG version to insure you can use all the 12V current if need be.

what about an Antec NeoPower ATX 480W Power Supply at newegg it is 99=ship and then 15 mir so $75+shipping??? good enough for my sytem??

Back