• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the verdict on v1.9 final BIOS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bhugarov

I've been checking around the forum, but see very few posts on the new v 1.90 BIOS for the Neo2. Where are all the daring BIOS early adopters.... or is it that they tried it, and are unable to post :shrug:
I mean, we are talking about MSI.
Ahhhh...rseven will know.

The bios adds support for E6 rev. CPU (dual cores) and updates NVPXE to 2.12.
After flashing it erased my Nvidia LAN MAC address = nvidia ethernet was dead, so I had to switch to Realtek ethernet untill I found the fix browsing MSI forums.
I did not notice any improvements on my system with this bios so I went back to 1.8. So if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Thanks

Well, I guess I will wait a while, it isn't going to fix what I need. I am at least stable at 2403-2460 with current v1.8, and can always get into Windows. I would still like to see some more multipliers, and higher Vdimm options.
Thanks for your input Two-faced.

Hi Bhugarov. The 1.9 final is one of those MSI mixed bag of tricks. On the positive side some folks have realized slightly better stability at high HTT's. I was never able to boot at 9x300 and now I can and it's stable. I still don't run at that speed because the 1.6 voltage just runs my cpu too hot. My highest 1:1 ram clock went from 275 to 276. Now, on the negative side, the spread spectrum is enabled and grayed out so it can not be disabled. Some folks feel this is hampering their overclock. Also, as per your question, there are no changes in vdimm, vcore, multipliers or dividers.
BTW, there are several modded versions which give you many more ram timings options. I tried some of these options in the A64 Tweaker, and since they didn't help me I never used any modded version of the bios.
That's about it. Take care.

Official charter member.....

Rseven, I am now a charter member of you "MSI Bashers" club. Actually I was spoiled long ago by Abit's BIOS, and feature-set. I've had Asus, MSI, and will also move on to the DFI when they get their BIOS issues resolved. I don't really need pci-e for what I do, and will wait until major upgrade time to move to the nForce4.
On the up-side v1.8, and all the help here at the OC Forums has helped (and educated) me in at least reaching 2400-2500MHz stable with my current setup. I had a really bad IHS on my Winnie, and after lapping it and going back to AS3 (was using AS5) it has helped alot.
Oh and congrats on hitting that big "300". :cool:

thanks rseven!
I have always had fast writes off until this Bios release, Thought I would give it a try,
Turned on Sideband as well, was not an option on 1.8, Well I cant remember it being.
Could not belive it when I cranked up BF2, so smooth.....
Dont know if I could go back now.
No problems with stability... Except for a pause about 5 mins into the first game on BF2, Dont know if its a driver thing or lack of ram.. But It sorts its self out after a couple of seconds, Just like a big bit of lag on the network..Then Never happens again.
Farcry ect all fine, wow still cant get over the smoothness...

You are welcome. BTW, I believe that sidebanding was in the hidden bios of the 1.8 bios. Enjoy your BF2. I'll stick to Seagram's 7. :)

Can any of you guys shed some light on a hidden setting in Cell menu,
NV / ATI Speed up...
Can this setting cause stability problems when set to auto?
with fast write's ect on..
My default setting is auto and I have left it as is,
Speed up video card?? aaarrhhh.

yes, it is supposed to allow the mobo to bump up the vid card a bit and this could cause a problem, particularly if you already have the card OC'd. It is suggested to disable this when overclocking.

In general, when I'm trying to OC I try to disable anything that might cause instability. Once I have the OC that I want to stick with, then I will go back and try and enable things to see if it will help speed things up a bit more. If I encounter instability I diable it again. In this way I can isolate what is the cause of instability rather than just guessing. Yes, it takes a little extra time, but it saves time in the long run.

mattyhayden said:
... Except for a pause about 5 mins into the first game on BF2, Dont know if its a driver thing or lack of ram.. But It sorts its self out after a couple of seconds, Just like a big bit of lag on the network..Then Never happens again.

I have the same exact problem with CSS. I am unable to correct it with 1.9 bios. I did not have this with 1.8. Like rseven said earlier, there is a setting that is enable and hidden in 1.9 bios that I have not been able to locate.

Sniper.nkc said:
I have the same exact problem with CSS. I am unable to correct it with 1.9 bios. I did not have this with 1.8. Like rseven said earlier, there is a setting that is enable and hidden in 1.9 bios that I have not been able to locate.

I turned sideband & Fastwrite's off. This has fixed the problem,
Will give it a good workout when I get home from work and try and sort it..

To enable hidden bios settings press shift+F2 and then Alt+F3 and say, "pressto chango!" ....LOL All right, no need for the pressto chango part. I was just being silly.

Bhugarov said:
Rseven, I am now a charter member of you "MSI Bashers" club.
Well I'm a charter member of the "Never Overclock Without a Drink in Your Hand" club, and I nominate rseven as our first president! All in favor say "aye." All opposed... (turns to Vito and says, "Get that guy's name!").

BTW, anybody know who the guy in my avatar is?

*v*

Well, I think that I may give 1.90 a shot after all, I mean what do I have to lose? I'm at the point where I will try anything now. Besides if MSI borks my system I'll have a REAL excuse to upgrade to Venice, and a REAL mobo.
BTW.. for the last week or so the hidded BIOS doesn't work anymore on my v1.8, lol. I love MSI :bang head

Hmmm, now the hard part, need to decide on an avatar.

L33M said:
Well I'm a charter member of the "Never Overclock Without a Drink in Your Hand" club, and I nominate rseven as our first president! All in favor say "aye." All opposed... (turns to Vito and says, "Get that guy's name!").

BTW, anybody know who the guy in my avatar is?
To paraphrase Groucho Marx, "I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member" and for president it goes double! :) Infact, make mine a double!
Hey, L33M, I know Lee Marvin when I see him. I even have a friend that could pass for his double.

Back