• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help installing windows on Raptor!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

avalanche83

I have read all the stickies and it isn't helping much. When I boot up it will reconize the the SATA drive, then when I go to install windows it asks if I want to install a RAID or SCSI devise by pressing F6. Well don't know if it is RAID and it won't let me push the F6 button (F lock on or not) anyway. Also I go into windows and it doesn't read a SATA as being there. I am at a loss.

avalanche83 said:
I have read all the stickies and it isn't helping much. When I boot up it will reconize the the SATA drive, then when I go to install windows it asks if I want to install a RAID or SCSI devise by pressing F6. Well don't know if it is RAID and it won't let me push the F6 button (F lock on or not) anyway. Also I go into windows and it doesn't read a SATA as being there. I am at a loss.

You need drivers. If hitting F6 when the message is displayed doesn't lead you to the 'inser driver disk' screen, either your keyboard or the windows cd is bad. You will need a floppydisk with the drivers of the Sata (raid-) controller where the raptor is attached at.

Ok. Not finding crap on google. I did find some drivers on the mobo disk that I just tried out all it did was add an icon to the tool bar. I plan on making this my main drive so I want to format and all that good stuff.

Never mind. I just have just found them on the WD site. Go figure. It came in a zip file and I have no idea on how to put it on a floppy and install them in dos.

Unzip them then either put them on a floppy and install XP and hit f6 when toldto or install the drivers in XP if you are not installing fresh.

Remeber when hitting F6 it wont bring you to a prompt right away, it takes a couple minuets. Then when it asks, you have to hit "s" to install specific drivers. Also does this copy of windows have SP2 on it? If not I suggest you put slipstreme it in.

just unzip the drivers you need which are just hte promise drivers unless you have a raid setup, press f6.. let it finish up then it'll tell you to press s to specifiy drivers, pick the right ones (for xp of course) and then continue with the install.. hang on to the disk though cause it may ask you for them again

Why do they have to make sata's so difficult. I used the drivers right off of the site did everything that I was suppose to in setup and it had some kind of error. First I tried putting the XP folder alone on there and that didn't work. Then I tried all 3 which is 2000, XP, and something else that all uses the same drivers. Sounds like it is a simple process but this is agrivating the hell out of me.:)

avalanche83 said:
Why do they have to make sata's so difficult.

Nothing too difficult...when windows XP was in development Sata was non-existent, so including the drivers for the basic hardware used by it was impossible. Using the floppy method or slipstream, you can still supply win XP with the neccesary drivers.

I dont mean to steal the thread but I am having a similar problem I think, help me out guys.

Basically I have the 34g raptor, installed XP on it. Have this 120g IDE wd drive. Tried to put it in but the only way the computer will see its event here is only if it in Master or CS setting. In which case it tried to boot from it and fails.

Also I dont know if thats related but another bit of weird info, I have 2 ide chanals and 2 sata on my motherboard. However the bios sees them all as ide 1 2 3 and 4. Is that suposed to be that way?

I dont know what to do anymore I have tried everything.

Could it be that the reason that it only sees it when its on Master/CS because it is the only ide drive present. And since the SATA raptor apears to be on ide 4 and the 120 is on ide 1, then it automaticaly tries to boot from the first master on the list. I dont know I totaly lost at this point :(

avalanche83 said:

Not to sound retarded, but I'm having a slight difficulty following this thread, but found it interesting enough to reply :)

So you have a Raptor? Ok. you want to install Win XP? so far so good. I see your sig and is the Raptor the 36GB one, or a new one that you want to add? Also, since you want to install Windows, yet you go into Windows and it doesn't see the SATA drive? Errr....see my problem?

I have two drives, 74GB Primary master, 200GB WD Caviar Secondary Master, both SATA. I booted up, made sure everything was recognised in the BIOS ( my DVD and DVD-write were also recognised from the get-go, both on seperate IDE channels).
All I did then was to make sure my PC would boot from the CDROM/DVD, put the Win XP disk in and it booted from that. No don't press F6 unless you want a RAID setup, just let it load. Then format/partion the drive (follow the instructions) and it should be a walk in the park, just might take some time. I know I didn't need any extra drivers for my install.....

(If I'm missing something here please feel free to correct me)

Gabber359 said:
No don't press F6 unless you want a RAID setup, just let it load. Then format/partion the drive (follow the instructions) and it should be a walk in the park, just might take some time. I know I didn't need any extra drivers for my install.....

(If I'm missing something here please feel free to correct me)

you're just gonna confuse them even more!!! yes some mobos do not need you to install the SATA drivers from a floppy but it doesn't hurt to do so, if you are having problems with windows reconizing the drive during installation the put the SATA drivers on a floppy, hit F6 when it says "hit F6 to load RAID drivers" and just wait, it'll come back to it later.

Drec said:
you're just gonna confuse them even more!!! yes some mobos do not need you to install the SATA drivers from a floppy but it doesn't hurt to do so, if you are having problems with windows reconizing the drive during installation the put the SATA drivers on a floppy, hit F6 when it says "hit F6 to load RAID drivers" and just wait, it'll come back to it later.

Heh :) Alright, I'll keep that in mind for future reference, thanks.

Pf.Farnsworth said:
However the bios sees them all as ide 1 2 3 and 4. Is that suposed to be that way?
Have you tried flashing the mobo BIOS to the newest version? That sounds a little bit odd to me, as both SATA boards I've used viewed them as SATA connections....
However, it is also possible you're missreading the thing, as the motherboard has 2 IDE headers, that means it can support up to 4 IDE devices (two on each channel), and the SATA listing is elsewhere.

Farnsworth. You should have a boot priority in bios. It shouldn't matter what is master or slave. Sata has no master or slave to begin with. I think the boot priority is hidden a little so you might have to dig around. I found mine in the advance bios under priority. Now back to my problem with this Raptor. I have tried to install both the Abit drivers and the WD ones and both keeps saying error. Am I trying to install them right by putting them on a floppy and when it asks for F6 hit it and let it take me to the screen to load the drivers off of the disk? And can someone give me a link to the right drivers for this hard drive?

Back