• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Legality?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhoenixMDM

Piano Man
Is there any site that outlines what is and isn't allowed in different states? I'm curious to see if tarpits are legal here in NH, as well as a few other miscellaneous things. Don't wanna show someone a trick and end up in trouble with the police >_<

i would contact your isp ... because it may defined under other terms..

in what form do you intend to use ??

i have a hunch its something that traps IP addresses, and various other intrusions that most of the time come off undetectable, but by using a tar pit, you catch the perpatraitor in the act

shard said:
i have a hunch its something that traps IP addresses, and various other intrusions that most of the time come off undetectable, but by using a tar pit, you catch the perpatraitor in the act
Right on the money. It's for catching war drivers / man-in-the-middle attacks by flooding them with information. They will say scan for UNIX servers with open SSH and it'll see this and respond with about 25 of them. It will then play along and do whatever they say in it's virtual little server, while doing it's best to red-flag them and alert the network admin. In some states they are treated as if they are illegal, as they are viewed as entrapment (Illinois is a prime example I believe), while in others it's "you already attacked the network, it's self-defence" and is more or less left alone. I have no idea about the legality, but I'm pretty intersted in the answer myself.

Last edited:
i would really like to know if this sort of thing can be done too, as i am now living in a dorm like situation, and although i can severly tune down the wifi signal i would still like to make sure nobody staying here thinks that they can use my connection (the net here comes with a room and is standard but slow as molasses and i'm 80% sure most of the people here are doing heaving downloading, ect because i just don't even see 100-300 connections bringing a connection in the realm of t1ish to its knees by just people surfing the web...of course i could be calculating bandwidth incorrectly....but 300/100 pinging ~900 can come from just surfing... of course our ToS here prohibits illegal downloading, ect but like i said they are most likely doing it anyways.

I think it'd be a good idea for some website to have a list of these laws. After all, one of the best ways to protect yourself is to know the law.
Plus, I know of a house bill in NH that basically said using people's unencrypted wireless is fine unless it's made clear that you can't use it. I'm really curious to see if it passed.

Slackfumasta said:
I've always known them as 'honeypots'.
Same, never knew they were potentially illegal, after all your on my network w/o permission what happens there is your problem. Id also be interested in more info on this.

I'm interested to see what states view this as illegal. I can't see any reason why this wouldn't be allowed.

Back