• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie needs help O/Cing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knuckledragger

Registered
Howdy all, new to the world of overclocking but really curious. I have an old (free) Intel SE440BX-2 MB with a Celeron 366 in a socket/slot adapter. 384mb pc100 RAM, 8gb HD.

I know the MB is supposed to be able of handling up to a 800 P3 but I want to see if I can overclock the 366 CPU and figure any cooling mods that I do can transfer over to a new MB or CPU.

What do I do and where do I start? I've read some of the FAQ pages but they offer no info specific to my MB & CPU combination.

Eric

on the oc.com site go to tips and techniques, then to beginer guide

that should get you started:)

remember cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling cooling

Robb23
You mentioned an oc.com site as a source of beginner info.
when I go to oc.com I get Open Connect.
Is your oc.com an abbreviation or curtation for something else?

Remember...

Heat=Your Enemy...

Try to have 2 case fans... Equal intake and exhaust... and a good heatsink and fan.

head over to the Intel section and ask for help over thier. You will be able to get a much better answer/responce to what you need in the Intel section as well.

meb-vm celelron 366

i have a asus meb-vm and a celeron 366. the only way i have been able to overclock is with softfsb. the fsb is 75 and cpu is 413mhz. cooling stock except with a slightly larger heatsink. has been stable for one night. im gonna try and go higher soon. i need to find a way to read the cpu temp. i dont think it is possible to adjust this multiplier or is there a program that will do that for me?

What kind of computer is it? Last time I checked, most mainstream computers, like Dell, Compaq, etc etc had locked procs and BIOS settings kinda stopping you from OC'ing.. cheesy. Then again, I wouldn't want to OC a Compaq, I'm sure I would blow up my room if I did... POS if you ask me.

If your going to start oveclocking, make sure that if you alter you FSB, it is through your bios. Trust me, it is much easier to oc by the simple press of some buttons than by soldering directly onto your mobo. If, as a last resort, you do decide to oc through your mobo directly, don't rush yourself and steady your hands. It would be an added bonus if you could get somebody to help you hold the mobo.

Most importantly, cool cool coll your system!:D
(i hate seeing any computer go to waste because it burnt itslef out)

celeron 366

it is a hp pavillion 4536 oh i forgot to mention i added a stick of 128mb ram. does it matter if what slot the diff siz ram sticks are in the original is 64mb. thnx. still no crashes at a fsb of 75

rookie overclocking

yes i wasnt about to start soldering on the mobo unless i had too. i used softfsb and have only set the fsb at 75 so far. is there a better overclocking program? my bios is pathetic thnx

How much money do you want to spend? I bought cheap yet ready for future upgrades. 1: Gf 4. 2 :Rambus MOBO. 3: Northwood 2.2. Then with the leftover parts I'll piece together yet another box that is pretty good in its own right, yeh bring on the lan party.

I've been doing alot of reading in the forums and I'm thinking about OCing my pc. Right now Its running pretty smooth. I have OCed it once using some BullSh$% EZTune software that came with my MOBO. I over did it my first time and the Sys. wouldn't boot back up. I changed everything back and tried OCing through the FSB.

I guess my question is: are there any software packages that help OC and are their any that allow you to monitor temp of pc and case on desktop?

if so let me know.

P.S. I tried the MOBO Monitor Software but I was getting different Temp readings using the software and checking it in BIOS

Back