• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How should i apply AS5 on my cards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ati

Ive always done it like how i do it on my P4. I put a very small dor in the center and put the heatsink on. I do this because it looks like video cards have a IHS or is it the die it self?

So that thing isnt an IHS at all? It's the die it self?

well technically its the core on most cards but with the 5200 its a huge core... (or maybe a ihs but it looks to me like a nf2 chipset lol so i would do the spreading technique on all gpu's

ok cool. Then i need to reapply this AS5 haha. Also im about to get a 6800, do those have temp monitoring?

yes 6800's have temp monitoring. you spread it on, roughy, and let the heatsink press out the excess as5. with as3 you wanted a very thin layer, but not with as5. i've been applying all my as5 by using the tip of the tube and just spreading it out (except for large surfaces like a cpu with an IHS. there you put a half-pea sized blob in the center and let the heatsink do the work.)

Hehehe, I use AS5 exactly opposite the way that you do crimedog :)

I use a tiny blob of AS5/ASC, and then spread it as thin as possible over the core with a credit card or an exacto knife. I then install the heatsink/waterblock/whatever, and tighten it.

My thinking is that you want as thin a layer of TIM as possible - AS5/ASC is fairly thick, but can still be spread in the same manner as AS3. I also don't feel comfortable having excess AS5 anywhere, due to it's slight capacitance. The stuff is also pretty expensive - I'm changing TIM fairly frequently, and don't want to waste any :p

Arctic Silver's instructions for AS5 specifically say that it should be applied the way that you do it though...

dont forget to be careful because as5 is capacative. if u have ceramique i would use that.

I prefer just to put a small dab in the middle, just like you would install it on a P4 or Athlon64. It will still spread the glob out, and the excess will be pushed out (as long as you didn't put on way too much).

once when I bought a cooler (either for my 6600 gt oc or my old 5200) the guide said to spread it in a diagonal "X" pattern. I figured that by doing that it would spread out when the HS was placed, so I do it like that.

Scott9027 said:
dont forget to be careful because as5 is capacative. if u have ceramique i would use that.
I second that. You can ruin your card if AS5 gets on something other than the gpu.

I use a plastic bag to spread paste typically. Never used a knife or CC, so much work involved :p

I also don't use AS5 on cards, that crap gets everywhere, to dangerous.

i'm sick of reading about as5 killing your gpu, this is just silly. i've had as5 between resistors or capacitors (not sure what they are) on my core, as well as on the pcb (traces aren't exposed people, they're burried under plastic) and NOTHING BAD HAS HAPPENED.

reach under your skirt...

crimedog said:
i'm sick of reading about as5 killing your gpu, this is just silly. i've had as5 between resistors or capacitors (not sure what they are) on my core, as well as on the pcb (traces aren't exposed people, they're burried under plastic) and NOTHING BAD HAS HAPPENED.

reach under your skirt...
I am sick of hearing about people dying of lung cancer. I have a friend who has been smoking for 30 years and NOTHING BAD HAS HAPPENED.......

I always see threads like this.

I always say:

Apply the way the manufacturer says to. I mean, they did make the product :rolleyes:

NOTHING on a gfx card nowadays has an IHS. Most have an open die (ram counts as well). On nVidia FX series cards, with the HUGE core like the nForce 2 motherboard, that whole thing IS THE DIE. That is NOT an IHS. Trust me, I know :D

If you do a blob on a die, either:

A) You will be wasting some
B) The layer won't be even
C) You won't cover the whole area that produces heat.

rseven said:
I am sick of hearing about people dying of lung cancer. I have a friend who has been smoking for 30 years and NOTHING BAD HAS HAPPENED.......

glad you found something irrevelant AND evil to counter with

i'll take the extra performance from using as5 thank you

crimedog said:
glad you found something irrevelant AND evil to counter with

i'll take the extra performance from using as5 thank you
I was simply applying your logical progression to a different situation. If the logic were valid it would still hold up. It was neither evil or irrelevant, but think as you will. To me, that kind of risk is not worth the small extra in performance. I think we need to agree top disagreew and leave it at that.

well, in the smoking situation "just wait." However, if you made a new open circuit then you won't have to wait long (speaking of smoking...) I have read that AS5 has a very low conductivity rating or whatever it's called; but i suppose that it is possible to make a connection, although it is very unlikely, I think.

Back