• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth upgrading yet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scottb2k

Registered
My system is below in my sig:

Besides building a new system, which would probably cost too much I am thinking of the following upgrades:

x800xt PE
Better ram so I can run at 1:1

Or not doing anything and waiting to build out a new system.

The question is...is the price of upgrading worth it? And how much longer would it prolong the life of the system?

I also have a dell 2405FPW on the way... :santa:

I'm guessing it is Socket 478, DDR, and AGP 8x. I wouldn't spend too much to upgrade it as it won't last very long. I would upgrade the graphics card to a X800XL and just keep the RAM. Maybe a new mouse or keyboard?

-1cem4n

what do you spend most of your time on the computer doing? my configuration is very similar, and i'm not planning on upgrading for a long time. i spend most of my time just browsing the internet and maybe spend about 2 hours per week playing a game. i have even thought of downgrading to save power.
unless you have money coming out of your ***, don't pressure yourself into upgrading if its only going to make you happy for the day or two after you buy/install the new part. make sure its something that will really be useful.

Does your current system provide a decent level of satisfaction now? Like the old saying goes, if it aint broke dont fix it! If you are looking to upgrade just to upgrade, maybe a new CPU and video card would be the best bet, just all depends on what you do with your PC.

I spend most of time gaming.

How does it feel now? It doesn't feel slow, and it certainly isn't, at the same time though, I am starting to want to run in a higher res with more bells and whistles...and with the 1405 coming I don't want to underpower the monitor.

also newegg has the x850xt pe agp for $316...which is evry tempting.

For mostly gaming, then upgrading the vid card is probably the best bang for the buck. But, AGP is dying. So, you'll spend over $300 for a vid card that won't migrate to your next platform.

For about $100 cheaper, you could get an AGP Sapphire X800 Pro. Might not be quite as good as the X850 XT, but certainly a whole bunch better than your current vid card.

Take the extra cash saved and sell your 9800 Pro, then get a good used 3.0E or 3.2E from someone that recently upgraded. Now, you can use your current RAM at the 1:1 ratio and still O/C much higher than your current system (probably 3.7 to 3.8 gig without too much trouble and maybe close to 4 gig if you get a good E0 stepping 3.2E). The added cache will help too (1M vs. 512k). Memory bandwidth and performance will be greatly improved. The only downfall is you might need a little better cooling.

Lets assume that I can hit 3500 on a 3.2e. Thats a 218 FSB.

The 2.4c i have now is running on a 266 FSB. 300mhz slower...

Is there going to be that much of a difference in speed between the 2??

If so...heres what I'm thinking

3.2E
XP-90c w panaflo
x800xt pe

newegg its about $670

Can someone tell the guy whos selling the 3.2e to PM me since i dont have access to the classified...

scottb2k said:
Can someone tell the guy whos selling the 3.2e to PM me since i dont have access to the classified...

Anyone?? Throw me a frickin bone people :cool:

Back