• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

keeps disconnecting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diddydo75

i have an 512k ADSL connection with AOL. I connect to the net via my master phone socket which is located down stairs in the front of the house, while my comp is upstairs at the back of the house. I use a 15 metre RJ11 to connect to the master socket downstairs.
I seem to keep on getting random disconnects. I have checked AOL's site and they say my RJ11 should be no more than 10 metres in length.
Would my 15 metre cable really make a difference??

If i decieded to make my connection wireless how would i do it and would it help with this problem.

My modem was suplied by AOL and is a BT Voyger 105. It has a USB socket at the rear and one RJ11 socket. Could it be used if i went wireless??

I cant just use a 10 metre cable as it wont reach the downstairs master phone socket

any help is appreciated as this is happening quite often and getting on my nerves.:bang head

Why do you connect to the "master socket" whatever that is, why not connect to a regular phone outlet nearer to your computer? You also need ADSL filters on any outlet that has a telephone.

the master socket is the one where the line comes into the house, any other sockets are just connected via that one(there is one upstairs but in a front bedroom which at this time isnt connected cos BT charge a fortune!)). I have the necessary splitters.
AOL say to connect via the master telephone socket which i am doing.
Would wireless help??

If the only problem is the too long cable, then yes, wireless will help. On the other hand, I am not sure that is the problem. You don't have a 56K Dial Up connection, you have DSL. With ADSL you should be connected pretty much 24/7. You keep losing the connection though, so something is up. It could be anything, including your modem.

Hopefully someone with a lot more network knowledge than me will answer your questions.

Diddydo i'm having the exact same problem as you mate. Except i'm with Wanadoo. They've sent me out a replacement modem to see if that is the problem. hope you get it sorted.

It sounds like some of your problems are the insane long cord, I would put your modem next to the box. But it sounds like you dont have a rj-45 jack on the back for ethernet correct? I would call up AOL and see if they can get you a modem with ethernet on the back, as ethernet > usb.

hey i had the same problem when i first got my dsl up and running yesterday. i called sbc and told them my problem and they sed they were having problem with my account and they fixed it. she told me to go reset the modem and now it works perfect, beside the fact that i only have 1.6mb!!! my package is 1.5-3.0 but then she sed it would improve after 10 days,so ill wait.

ok i made a mistake, my modem connects to my pc via its usb port but the socket on the rear of the modem is not a usb port. its almost a square but the top two corners are clipped off? ethernet??
as you can see i'm below the level of a noob when it comes to this.
i phoned AOL yesterday and they checked the line. they said the line could be at fault as its says that its always busy?

had a look on the net. its not an rj-45 jack on the rear of my modem! think i'm gonna wait and see the outcome of the line test by BT.
I never had this problem when i was with plusnet. if they hadnt introduced capped limits i would have statyed with them.

I've figured it out, do you have a filter coming from the master socket and then one at the end of the extension lead? If so, take out the filter in the master socket and put the extension lead straight into the master socket. REboot your pc and everything should be alright.

Back