• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Like my O/C Forums desktop?--1600x1200//654kb IMAGE INSIDE--

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SolidxSnake

OCForums%20copy.jpg

http://www.fritzilldo.com/~solidxsnake/photoshops/OCForums copy.jpg

Something that took me 2.5 hours (time just flies when I'm doin this crap)

All done in Photoshop 7.0.

First, I start with clouds, pick two colors of the flame (I did a blood red/dark orange), then I do some spotlights (filter->render->lighting effects)...Spotlight determines where the fire is going to be. I do around 2-3 spotlights, different settings each time, Then I set a color balance layer (Layer->Adjustment layers->color balance) and set according to colors. Highlights and midtones are in the main color areas (mine was red/magenta/yellow), and shadows are opposite. then, I do a lot of smudging. Make the basic shape of the fire. To smudge with my technique, get a strange kind of brush, spotty and the likes (I use Oil Medium Medium flow, something like that). Then, set the smudge strengh to anywhere from 30-60. I switch around; I start somewhere from 50-60, get the basic flame down, then I go down to 30-40, to get the detailed parts in. Keep smudging until you get the whole basic flame done.

Now, make a new brush. Base it off a standard airbrush (faded circle). Then, change around the brush settings. Add a lot of scatter and jitter (so there are lots of the same thing going everywhere), then mess around with the texture (hardness and roundness) to get the circle to become like the oil medium flow thing. You can also use the medium flow brush and make a lot of scatter, but I prefer to make my own brush.

Now, start going around the picture, painting those scattered dots sparingly. Make the opacity a little low as well. Then after you have a good amount of the dots there, smudge them to look like a stray flame/ember from the big fire.

Now do a few blur filters, maybe a wave filter or two, and you're done!

BTW:

First person to find the most obvious show of overlapping gets a cookie.

Hint: It's in the writing/lightning bolt section ;)

updade: Blue flame version:

ocforumsblue%20copy.jpg

Again, if you want the .psd, PM me ;)

Last edited:
shard said:
i think the flames need a bit more sharpening, but besides that, very l33t

yeah, I was going for a blurred look. I'm thinking of making a different desktop for each kind of 'division' we have here:

Overclockers
Overclockers Forums (Thats this one)
Overclockers Forums Folding@Home Team32
Overclockers Forums SETI Crunching
Overclockers Forums 3DMark Team

I would put the logos for the F@H, Seti and 3DM on the top-right corner. For the Overclockers one, I would just remove the 'Forums' part of the writing.

If anyone wants the .PSD file, PM me.

BTW, no one found my 'obvious show of overlapping'. It has to do with the bolt and 'forums' ;)

You call that a desktop :rolleyes:

This on the other hand..... :D

ocf9hn.jpg

Just kiddin' :p , i think its cool, it kinda looks like it was hand painted :)

Scott9027 said:
The lightning bolt over the r in Forums?

Props! Cookie to you!

If anyone doesn't notice, the Lightning bolt goes under the little r's 'hook', and then goes over its 'base', if you will :D

Crana: I bow down to your desktop skills. Handmade is always better than special effects.

btw, what happened to the 'c' in your name?

JoT kindly changed it :)

Cos my little bro originally made this account (His name being Craig) and he didnt use it (I dont think he ever posted either) and i had some trouble with registering my email address.. But all is well now ;)

SolidxSnake said:
Crana: I bow down to your desktop skills. Handmade is always better than special effects.

:D

I had a better blue flame, but ONCE I CLICKED the save as... button, photoshop instantly crashed back to desktop, no error msg or anything =(

heres a pic of my older blue flame, it wasn't as bright:

http://www.fritzilldo.com/~solidxsnake/photoshops/sadf.JPG

Now that I compare the two, I like the transistion of my pre-crash image, but I like the darker blue on my current image

Made another two, tweaked the lightning bolt, and changed it to Overclockers instead of OC:

OverlockersForums%20copy.jpg

OverclockersForumsBlue%20copy.jpg

I really like the writing on these ones. I messed up on the old ones, and these letters took a tad more work.

Also, In these two pics, there is no transparency on the logo. I'm not sure if I wanna keep the logos opaque or transparent, some input would be helpful ;)

Back