• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another which PSU Thread !!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Get the Fortron, IMO OCZ PSU are junk(there memory kicks arse), my PowerStream 420 was garbage. I've seen alot of happy campers with their Fortrons.

Id personnaly go with the OCZ. All I have heard are good reviews and a close friend of mine is upgraded to one and says hes in love. Hope that helped but unfortunetley I dont own one to tell u more.

~Ken

Rattle said:
Yeah i'm getting the info about fortrons blowing peeps boards too hehe.

I haven't seen one case of that yet, and I've had my eyes open for it. To my recollection, I've only heard of one failing since January. That said, pick whichever looks best to you. The OCZ is more capable on the 12v - I would go for that one if planning on SLI, otherwise I'd probably go for Fortron first.

I assumed you had bought the OCZ modstream that is in RedDragonXXX's sig and I just wanted to clarify that its not the same PSU as the OCZ powerstream in your first post (the powerstream being stronger on the 12v rail and overall a better quality unit).

Of course thats just an assumption on my part :)

Yes, what they have said is true. The PowerStream's are stronger on the 12v rail. They are spec'd at 33a. They are also not junk! I was appalled to read that statement above. It is definitely false information. I don;t know what the problem was with the 420 he had, but he should've got it rectified through OCZ's great support. I have a 520 PowerStream, and I don't have to tell you from a fanboy standpoint, I can tell you from actual testing under load. The thing ROCKS.

I couldn't even put a load on the thing that would show a measurable decrease in voltage. For those that know about Prescott based OC'd systems, they know that they put a killing on a PSU. Take the system in my rig, add 2 benchmarking programs, throw in some video encoding, then go straight into F1 and do some racing at the same time you're looking over at the DMM. LOL!!! That is what I did. That is not what i would call normal use, and the thing didn't droop at all.

Many people have reported the exact same things with that unit. I've read of two issues with OCZ520's, and one was rectified, and the other I never did hear about. That person gave up and jumped ship before they ever talked with OCZ about it.

Deathknight said:
I assumed you had bought the OCZ modstream that is in RedDragonXXX's sig and I just wanted to clarify that its not the same PSU as the OCZ powerstream in your first post (the powerstream being stronger on the 12v rail and overall a better quality unit).

Of course thats just an assumption on my part :)

yes your correct I posted the wrong link doh.
yes i bought the modstream not the powerstream.
I changed the link to reflect what I really meant.
Sorry for the confusion :bang head

Back