• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64 and windows xp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ccphil55

I have windows xp home edition, do i need the "64 bit version" before i will feel the benifits of the 64 bit system? Or can i stick with the version i started off with?

You must have a 64Bit OS to bennifit from A64. Windows XP 32Bit can't take advantage of anything 64Bit.

Unless you have 64 bit applications, there is no reason to upgrade to the 64 bit version of Windows XP. You will not see any advantage to your 64 bit processor with the 32 bit Windows however.

Microsoft used to let you sign up for a time-limited demo version of x64 for free (I don't know if they're still doing this anymore). You could download it and mess around to see if you think the performance gains are worth switching for.

the only 64 bit thing i have is far cry and half life 2, will those games run on 32 bit windows, or should i just wait for the new windows to come out until making that 64 bit jump?

ccphil55 said:
the only 64 bit thing i have is far cry and half life 2, will those games run on 32 bit windows, or should i just wait for the new windows to come out until making that 64 bit jump?

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=401655

Most 32Bit apps will work within x64, however not all. The biggest problem is anything that requires system drivers to run. My testing showed that x64 showed no gains over XP, but actually caused several problems. Unless there is a specific application you need to run in 64Bit i would stick with XP for now. Give software writers a little more time to catch up with 64Bit before you make the jump, just isn't worth it right now.

Back