• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for a psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris215

I'm looking for a cheap 24 pin psu (ATX2.0^) that will last. Can someone help me pick one?

Chris215 said:
I'm looking for a cheap 24 pin psu (ATX2.0^) that will last. Can someone help me pick one?

How much is cheap to you? The reason I ask is becasue any thing below 90 bucks and it isn't going to last. In fact, some of the units cheaper than 90 bucks are just plain dangerous.

A PSU is what your entire system runs on. You really don't wanna go cheaper than 90 bucks on a PSU. Really 130 bucks is by far better and that gets into the qaulity units. Then you can go up to close to 500 bucks for the ultimate Powerhouse 850 watt unit, but that would not be needed in your case.

Under $80 and this computer for my brother will only be running 3 fans, 1 HD & cd-rom drive, 3000+, x300 basically gaming. so I don't need that much watt.

Take a look at some of the Fortrons and Antecs.
Antecs are easier to find in stores while Fortrons have very good value.

For the 80-90 dollar price range, check out the Fotrons, they are really good value, but their ratings do what they are advertised. You may want to wait until OKWolf or larva sees this. They are very familiar with Fortron and could recomend the right unit for you.

Personally I run an OCZ520ADJ, but that unit runs 139 dollars. If you can go that high, it's a very good unit, but I suspect you need to keep the price down. Fortrons are actually very good units.

Chris215 said:
Under $80 and this computer for my brother will only be running 3 fans, 1 HD & cd-rom drive, 3000+, x300 basically gaming. so I don't need that much watt.

This will do it, but may limit overclocking:
http://www.directron.com/fsp40060thnr.html

A better solution would be the AX500-A, which seems to have disappeared from the eWiz website. Directron has it too though, for a little more than the last price eWiz had.

There you go! Thanks Wolf. You know alot more about those Fortrons than me. I guess that means i need to start studying some on them! :)

Back