• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

limewire problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vcstrike

when i run limewire it uses 100% of my cpu and my comp freezes. i have to use ctrl alt del to close it but it takes me like a minute to close it.

yes this was before/after i reformatted also. i didnt reformat for limewire but its pretty annoying.

So do you have any downloads queued during this? Or are you getting the same behavior regardless of if you have anything queued up or not?

What version of java do you have installed... I believe its related? Also, what version of limewire?

What are you system specs? CPU? RAM? mobo? Without system specs in your signature we can only guess at what is going on.

1 gb corsair value amd 3200 winnie some foxconn mobo :( ill put it in my sig so i dont have to keep typing it. I.M.O.G. i cant even get to the download page and i have the latest java.

vcstrike said:
1 gb corsair value amd 3200 winnie some foxconn mobo :( ill put it in my sig so i dont have to keep typing it. I.M.O.G. i cant even get to the download page and i have the latest java.

Have you gone into the Task manager (ctrl+alt+del) and seen what processes are loading the CPU?

Do you have Limwire set to act as a Supernode? Supernodes can sometimes overwhelm a system as you are literally acting as a server. You may have to limit upload bandwidth also. That will do two things. It will keep people from overwhelming your system with search hits, and it will also limit the amout of upload bandwidth users use for uploads.

Also stop searches once you have a good amount to choose from. The auto search will keep searching and it takes up system resources.

Basically try to limit any processes until you figure out which one, or however mnay are causing this.

It could also be a bug...of the bad variety, but we won't go there quite yet. You should have enough system to handle this sort of thing. Even a 2.0GHz non HT Intel will run that program with ease.

It's also possible the program could be hosed and may need to be reinstalled. If you do that, delete the whole folder from the reg and wipe it out totally.

like i said i reformatted so it should be working now but still the same problem. nothing is using more than like 2-5 cpu usage and limewire jumps from 10 to 60 to 99 and its really bothering me :bang head

vcstrike said:

What is the version number? I find that 90% of the time people say they "have the latest version" but they don't know what their version number is, or when the last update was released.

Download the following version of java, and see if your problem is resolved, your just having a problem with the version of java your running:

http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se/1.3.1_04/

3dflyer: System specs for software problems like this are irrelevant. ;)

still happening.. this is strange because it just started happening i dont remember downloading/installing anything new..

Could have been an automatic update maybe, I know java pops up annoying messages in the system tray sometimes... I would probably play with different java version until you find one that plays nice, or find if limewire recommends a certain version on their website.

ok thanks guys if this doesnt work what else could i use besides limewire?

Actually I think I know what problem you are having... I just fixed this today, it turns out I got a virus that a surprising number of other Limewire users are getting somehow; perhaps the same is the case for you. See this thread.

If what summit says doesn't fix it, uninstall the thing and find the next latest. Install it and let limewire update itself.

Were you able to fix it vcstrike?

I had the same problem after downloading the most recent version of limewire (4.9.23), but I hadn't changed anything with java. I started browsing the Gnutella forums and found a post about nvidia cards having trouble with limewire and AA/AF settings. I adjusted mine to 8x/16x (down from 8xS/16x, yup had it way up there ;)) and my 100% cpu problem went away. There are other possible issues/solutions that they list on their board but this one solved my problem.

Tipycol said:
Were you able to fix it vcstrike?

I had the same problem after downloading the most recent version of limewire (4.9.23), but I hadn't changed anything with java. I started browsing the Gnutella forums and found a post about nvidia cards having trouble with limewire and AA/AF settings. I adjusted mine to 8x/16x (down from 8xS/16x, yup had it way up there ;)) and my 100% cpu problem went away. There are other possible issues/solutions that they list on their board but this one solved my problem.
you... are awesome! this solved it! i had it at 8xS/16x because i only play cs 1.6 and i get 100 fps straight but thank youuuu!

Back