• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp key

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mofei1

i brought a hp computer about 4 years ago and it came with windows xp home edition. but now that computer no longer works as everything in there is fried and there is no warranty left.

so i decided to build a new rig and burrowed an legal copy of windows xp home edition from a friend, but he sed that he wont allow me to use his cd key, i thought ok, i have a legal key on the sticker of the hp case, so during installation, i use the key that is on the sticker on the hp case only to get an invalid key.

y am i getting this?? hp did not supply me with the xp cd nor a cd key, so i would of thought the sticker on the case with the cd key printed on it would be valid, and this would be legal, as that computer is toast.

ne ideas ppl??

Its an OEM license, and you are using a retail disc I would guess... Thats not an answer, but an assumption though. The key license doens't match the media you are using.

I've mistakenly used my XP Home key which is OEM with my version of XP Pro, and it won't let you get past the screen where you enter the key.

I am doing an install (on a client's PC) right now with my XP Home disc, and will change the CD-Key to the true (sticker on the Dell system)CD-Key when I have to activate. Figure if I call Microsoft and explain I shouldn't have any issues....but who knows.

Maybe I'll post my "luck"

You might check on the HD in the HP if it's still working for the installation folder/files. Dell does not even ship a disk with it's new laptops, the installation files are on the HD and uses system restore.

Maybe HP was doing this also.

yes the hp uses system restore feature, so therefore no xp cd :(

What you may be able to do is use his key to install...then there should be a sysprep utility on the disc that will reset the lisencing and allow you to use your key.

I don't know much about that util since I only used it once, when I worked at a computer repair shop and we had to switch the lisence on a new install from COA to OEM

I thought it was illegal to use the OEM license that was on 1 computer on a different non OEM box?

I thought an OEM copy of windows was tied to it's one rig forever.

Since your hp is older it most likely has a pre-sp1 key. each time microsoft releases a "new" xp disk, the key is different. So a winxp home key is differnet than a xphome sp1 key. Get it? also an oem key is different than a retail one. The only way to use your key is to find an oem cd that is the same sp level as your original. There is another way to go about this, but since it might not be allowed, pm me for details. BTW is your old drive still alive or did the drive die with the system?

If you call, they're likely to tell you that you have to reinstall from the hp discs or your out of luck.

Best option might be to call hp and try to get some restore discs.

matttaylor said:
Since your hp is older it most likely has a pre-sp1 key. each time microsoft releases a "new" xp disk, the key is different. So a winxp home key is differnet than a xphome sp1 key. Get it? also an oem key is different than a retail one. The only way to use your key is to find an oem cd that is the same sp level as your original. There is another way to go about this, but since it might not be allowed, pm me for details. BTW is your old drive still alive or did the drive die with the system?

I don't want to be your mother, but we ("the forums") don't condone any sort of piracy, whether it be through PM or otherwise... Telling someone where to find it, how to do it, or just posting it on the forums are all not allowed. I know you are trying to follow the rules, so I just wanted to share this so that you understood them more fully.

well there was one day that the computer wouldnt turn on, and i got my brother to take a look at it. what he done was he flicked the switched on the back of the psu, the 230v to 110v and he then tried turning the computer on.... zap! everything now fried. not really bothered tho as that computer was really old and was about time i got a new computer. thx for your help guys, but i have jus purchased a copy of xp :D

Buying a new cd is always a good idea if you are having problems with an oem copy. Most of the time hp and the other mfg's tailor the oem version to their computers. And in my previous post i wasn't refering to anything even near piracy, just a way to retreive the os from the hard drive.

telexen said:
What you may be able to do is use his key to install...then there should be a sysprep utility on the disc that will reset the lisencing and allow you to use your key.

I don't know much about that util since I only used it once, when I worked at a computer repair shop and we had to switch the lisence on a new install from COA to OEM

The only utility that I know of to change keys is not one we would discuss here. :( We have to use it at work to change to our newer Corp. Key in some instances, because SP1/2 won't install (invalid product key message).

cw823 said:
The only utility that I know of to change keys is not one we would discuss here. :( We have to use it at work to change to our newer Corp. Key in some instances, because SP1/2 won't install (invalid product key message).

The ability to change you CD key is built into windows xp...I believe its a function of OOBE.exe. I'm pretty sure you can do it when you activate windows.

If you use corp then it's already "activated" so it skips the OOBE thing. In order to deactivate you have to change a reg key (can't remember which one) so that it no longer sees your activation. Then you run OOBE with some switches to make it bring up the activation screen and along with activation the ability to change your CD Key.

I suspect the feature is there for those that have reached the limit of their activations on a CD Key.

PCGUY112887 said:
I thought it was illegal to use the OEM license that was on 1 computer on a different non OEM box?

I was thinking the same thing.

Numbstruck said:
The ability to change you CD key is built into windows xp...I believe its a function of OOBE.exe. I'm pretty sure you can do it when you activate windows.

If you use corp then it's already "activated" so it skips the OOBE thing. In order to deactivate you have to change a reg key (can't remember which one) so that it no longer sees your activation. Then you run OOBE with some switches to make it bring up the activation screen and along with activation the ability to change your CD Key.

The copy I'm referring to is a Dell that has already been activated. So you end up having to reactivate, and just choose change product key when it prompts

Numbstruck said:
I suspect the feature is there for those that have reached the limit of their activations on a CD Key.

I was thinking the same thing.

Yes, you're absolutely right. :)

PCGUY112887 said:

I don't see how that is illegal. When you but a generic OEM WINXP from an online store (or any store), in alot of cases I have seen, you only get the key code (no CD, rIght?). If it was illegal to use an OEM copy on another non OEM computer, don't you think MS would of put astop to this long ago.

Once your OEM key is used it's tied to the configuration, so it can't be used (and validated) on more than 1 computer at a time.

For my computer I use an OEM copy of Win Xp Pro from a Dell.The install disk is blue with a big Dell logo right across it. My Serial # keys all say Dell right on them. The disk and keys have never been used before and that makes tham no diffrent than any OEM copy you can buy off the net.

Using the CD, and using the license are two different things. You seem to understand PM, but to elaborate, you can use the CD on a different machine if you use a different valid OEM license. You cannot use the license from one OEM machine on another OEM machine.

Or thats how I understand it atleast.

If you follow the EULA to a 'tee', an OEM installation is tied to the machine it is first installed on FOREVER and can NEVER be transferred to another machine, period. This is why OEM versions of XP are generally inexpensive compared to RETAIL versions which may be moved around from machine to machine.

Back