• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So I'm getting the Ultra-D tomorrow and I need a few tips...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ozziegn

I'm finally gonna be putting my Ultra-D setup together which will include dually 7800 GTXs and an X2 4400+ chip.

my first order of business is to flash the BIOS to the 623-2 version, correct?

after that, what else should I do or set before I install Windows?

also, this board has two network connections. which one should I use or does it really matter?

any help or added tips will be GREATLY appreciated. :)

another question: how well does this board get along with using 2GBs of memory ( 4 X 512MB sticks) in all four memory slots?

any issues with this?

4x512 will run fine, but 2t. and ohh yea. probably shoulda had someone mention this, i heard that the 7 series wont run in SLI on modded ultra-d's. i guess youll be the one to prove or disprove this urban myth.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
probably shoulda had someone mention this, i heard that the 7 series wont run in SLI on modded ultra-d's.

what??????

please say that isnt so. please tell me you're pulling my leg. :(

I wouldnt pull the leg of anyone as important as you are at [H]ard. I first heard about this from (cf)eclipse. he said the new drivers prevent it, it might be a rumor though. its still an urban legend afaik, ive only heard slight rumors. you can dismiss this rumor for all.

ozziegn said:
what??????

please say that isnt so. please tell me you're pulling my leg. :(

um, question, if you have the cash to spend it on dual 7800GTX cards + AthlonX2 cpu, why are you being cheap on the extra $50 for a SLI-D motherboard?

Tiesto said:
um, question, if you have the cash to spend it on dual 7800GTX cards + AthlonX2 cpu, why are you being cheap on the extra $50 for a SLI-D motherboard?

It doesn't have anything to do with being cheap, why spend $50 more than you have to in order to obtain the same results? If he was cheap he would have bought a $299 dell.

Unless they did something to the hardware itself, you should still be able to mod it. No driver is going to fix something thats on the chipset itself.

Nexus Realized said:
It doesn't have anything to do with being cheap, why spend $50 more than you have to in order to obtain the same results? If he was cheap he would have bought a $299 dell.

oh come on. :rolleyes:

he's spending over $2,300 on GPU and CPU alone, and trying to save $50 on the board?

i call it the way i see it, and its about as cheap as my rich boss (who has a $700,000 house and a ferrari) asking me to download some mp3s for his son's birthday. :shrug:

Tiesto said:
i call it the way i see it,

I dont give a d@mn how you see it.

just because I can afford to have a pretty nice setup doesnt mean that I enjoy throwing around money here and there like some people do.

now, if this is the best information that you can throw at me in this thread then by all means do mean a favor and stay out of my thread altogether. :rolleyes:

Tiesto said:
oh come on. :rolleyes:

he's spending over $2,300 on GPU and CPU alone, and trying to save $50 on the board?

i call it the way i see it, and its about as cheap as my rich boss (who has a $700,000 house and a ferrari) asking me to download some mp3s for his son's birthday. :shrug:

thats just as bad as hearing about a certian celeb downloading mp3s, movies and games and being caught :/

alright guys! lets not bash him over his decisions. thats like saying why did i buy a 2800+ and vnf3-250 and now im gonna buy a gig of really expensive UTT, is just foolish. or watercooling my rig is foolish. its his money. i was trying to heads up the guy.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
why did i buy a 2800+ and vnf3-250 and now im gonna buy a gig of really expensive UTT, is just foolish.

oh well, the guy has got money, so it's his call to see if an Ultra-D will work with 7800s in SLI mode. or the board frying for any reason, and then getting the 'RMA Denied' shaft by DFI because of a hardware hack. cheers, and good luck. :beer:

p.s. how's that souped-up Cavalier working out? :cool:

I've finally had it with flogging this MSI Neo2 Platinum, along with one month in hell, flogging the DFI LP NF3 Ultra-D (returned for credit) and my LP UT NF4 Ultra-D will arrive Monday.

I've spent the past 5 hours reading optimization threads and the threads associated with the different bios revisions and all I can say is whoa. I'm burned out before I even start. :)

I plan on putting the SD 3700 in it and either 2x512 Mushkin L2V2 (TCCD) or else 4x512 OCZ 3200 EL Platinums (TCC5). I'll become a regular in the DFI motherboard forum for a while and coming into this well read but a newbie nonetheless, be patient with what will probably be questions looking for quick answers as opposed to being reminded the we have a search engine. If the past is any indicator, the dumb questions will tail off after a few days. I think it's safe to say that the days of letting the bios decide which memory timing settings are best for me are now over. I took a MS Word document from DFI-Streets and modified it for my personal approach to working through overclocking. If anyone's interested, you can find my version Here. It beats the cluttered notes scribbled on various pieces of paper all over my PC bench.

More to come as I get my feet wet.

Hoot

I'll be in the same boat soon HOOT, we can be unNewbified together in the DFI mobo section of the forums.

thnx to hawtrawkr and Eldonko for all the info thus far :)

*update*

after having one hell of a HUGE freakin' nightmare with my latest A64 X2 / DFI Ultra-D quest, I have finally came to the assumption that it just isnt for me.

I freakin' tried ALL DAY yesterday to get my X2 4400+ to work with my Ultra-D board and it was a complete nightmare. I installed everything like I normally would and I even flashed the Ultra-D's BIOS to the latest BIOS that supports the dual cored AMD chips.

the flashing went fine but as soon as I would try to power up the system, it would get past the post screen and then it would just sit there and go into a constant rebooting cycle. I then decided to simplify things and I unhooked everything from the board except for the HDD. still nothing. all it would do is constantly reboot.

okay. so I then decided to try the Abit A8N-SLI Fatal1ty board because I've heard some good things about it. okay, so I installed my X2 chip and I powered it on. thats when the board would throw a hissy and it automatically would go into the BIOS. but as soon as I would get into the BIOS and try to exit out, the freakin' board's tiny speaker would start buzzing like crazy and the board would lock up. I would have to shut everything down and reboot again. of course it never would get past the post screen because it always wanted me to go into the BIOS. again, the freakin' BIOS screen would lock up on me as soon as I would try to exit.

damn it!

alright. seeing since I have never been known to be a quiter in all my years, I decided to give it one last shot. this time I tried an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe board. surprisingly enough, it booted up on the first try and I was reinstalling Windows with minutes. I imediately updated the board's BIOS and so far so good. this is what I am typing this message on right now.

so I dont know if:

A) the DFI and the Fatal1ty board just didnt like my X2 4400+ for whatever reason.

or

B) maybe my Antec 480W Neopower just doesnt quite have enough punch for either one of those two (DFI and Fatla1ty) boards or what. but whats funny is that my Neo PSU works just fine with my A8N-SLI board.

or

C) I just plain outright have sh*tty luck when it comes to this whole A64 scene. I tried a 3200+ a few months ago along with another Ultra-D and it was also a complete nightmare. but this time, I was hoping I'd have better luck with this same board coupled to a $600 chip like my X2. I guess not......

-so can anyone throw me a lifeline or two as to what if anything did I do wrong? :(

My money's on the Luck factor. :)

Seriously though, my best guess is how long those boards that didn't work sat on the shelves. Lately, whether a board plays right out of the box, depends a lot on which revision of bios it has. You may have just gotten a couple of older boards that were one or two bios revisons behind the one that works. I'll be the first to admit that manufacturers have no right putting stuff on the shelves where the bios is not out of the beta phase yet, but lately, with technology rolling over every couple of months, that seems to be the rule, rather than the exception. The bottom line is eventually, you got one that was a keeper. Now, hopefully, it'll OC enough to make you happy. That's never a given anymore either.

Hoot

Last edited:
ozziegn said:
*update*

after having one hell of a HUGE freakin' nightmare with my latest A64 X2 / DFI Ultra-D quest, I have finally came to the assumption that it just isnt for me.

I freakin' tried ALL DAY yesterday to get my X2 4400+ to work with my Ultra-D board and it was a complete nightmare. I installed everything like I normally would and I even flashed the Ultra-D's BIOS to the latest BIOS that supports the dual cored AMD chips.

the flashing went fine but as soon as I would try to power up the system, it would get past the post screen and then it would just sit there and go into a constant rebooting cycle. I then decided to simplify things and I unhooked everything from the board except for the HDD. still nothing. all it would do is constantly reboot.

okay. so I then decided to try the Abit A8N-SLI Fatal1ty board because I've heard some good things about it. okay, so I installed my X2 chip and I powered it on. thats when the board would throw a hissy and it automatically would go into the BIOS. but as soon as I would get into the BIOS and try to exit out, the freakin' board's tiny speaker would start buzzing like crazy and the board would lock up. I would have to shut everything down and reboot again. of course it never would get past the post screen because it always wanted me to go into the BIOS. again, the freakin' BIOS screen would lock up on me as soon as I would try to exit.

damn it!

alright. seeing since I have never been known to be a quiter in all my years, I decided to give it one last shot. this time I tried an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe board. surprisingly enough, it booted up on the first try and I was reinstalling Windows with minutes. I imediately updated the board's BIOS and so far so good. this is what I am typing this message on right now.

so I dont know if:

A) the DFI and the Fatal1ty board just didnt like my X2 4400+ for whatever reason.

or

B) maybe my Antec 480W Neopower just doesnt quite have enough punch for either one of those two (DFI and Fatla1ty) boards or what. but whats funny is that my Neo PSU works just fine with my A8N-SLI board.

or

C) I just plain outright have sh*tty luck when it comes to this whole A64 scene. I tried a 3200+ a few months ago along with another Ultra-D and it was also a complete nightmare. but this time, I was hoping I'd have better luck with this same board coupled to a $600 chip like my X2. I guess not......

-so can anyone throw me a lifeline or two as to what if anything did I do wrong? :(

Ok here's some suggestions...

Take all but 1 stick of your ram out... and throw that one in slot 1

put the bios to default optimized after clearing cmos...

make sure everything has its power and is connected than try starting it again, make sure that if you have 2 cards in take 1 of them out and throw into single mode.

after that tell me whats going on....

I'm guessing he returned the other boards as he got the next candidate...

That's what I wind up doing.

Hoot

Back