• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mm... Graphire 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Banthur

wacom3.JPG

PerlAddict said:
lol. I love the updating avatar, Sjaak. Good luck with the hottie. ;)

While i certainly enjoy your interest, the thread starter may not. ;)

@ OP...show us what you can do...draw us a portrait or something :p

Wacom Graphire 3 in Adobe Photoshop CS (aka Overkill):
Lincoln2.jpg

MX700 in MS Paint:
Lincoln.jpg

Redid an old picture I had done just for ****s and giggles...

For what it's worth, the MS Paint one does look scarier :p

Go go... camera phone :(.. Haven't found a good deal on a digicam yet
Graphire.jpg

Last edited:
um... I don't think many games have pressure sensitivity support :p.. It does technically work as a mouse though and has absolute positioning (ie the tablet is a replica of your screen, if you touch the bottom left it is that position on the screen) which if practiced could allow very accurate firing. (I'm going to try later with Virtua Cop 2 :p)

Banthur said:
um... I don't think many games have pressure sensitivity support :p.. It does technically work as a mouse though and has absolute positioning (ie the tablet is a replica of your screen, if you touch the bottom left it is that position on the screen) which if practiced could allow very accurate firing. (I'm going to try later with Virtua Cop 2 :p)

Please, let me know your experiences with that, i'm very interested. What is the actual size of the pad? (square cm)

The pad is approximately 20.5cm square, and the actual drawing area is about 9.5cm x 13cm (advertised as the 4x5" pad)

Edit: Virtua Cop is a failure, the pad is HYPER-sensitive in the game for some reason and seems very jerky (like its moving in 25 pixel increments, very very strange) I theorize this is probably due to the game running in 640x480 mode, going to run CS:Source to confirm this...

Last edited:
No, however if you hold the pen just above it you have normal mouse control so it's easy to center yourself. Also, you could simply print out a grid pattern of your choice (the top of the pad is clear plastic and is made to have a custom sheet under it, mine is an old Blizzard-Starcraft Wallpaper :), I actually am considering making a grid with center on it now though.

Thats what i was thinking..markings would make aiming in certain games alot easier. And maybe speed up navigating through menus or something.

Heh, CSS is laughable. It's very hard (read: impossible) to hold the pen dead center to prevent the cursor from drifting because your hand shakes a little.. it's like using a joystick to control that has a 0% deadzone, every little move moves the cursor.. Do not buy this pad if you aren't going to use it for Art or drawing, it is not meant at all for gaming and you will not be happy with it :p

Congrats on your purchase. I have an earlier model Wacom Tablet and they are the greatest thing for graphic arts. It is the most natural interface yet for graphics, IMHO.

However they are not designed for games. Their standard mode is mapped absolutelty to the screen. They can be switched to "mouse mode" which will allow it to work better in games, but you would still have to hover you hand over the tablet too much.

Is this the tablet with the tft display built in? Also grab a copy of Corel Painter IX (it's designed especially for graphics tablets), I have a creaky old graphics tablet, but even with that you can get some amazing effects.

No, no TFT on this one. It came with Corel Painter Essentials 2 and Photoshop Elements 2.0, however I prefer JASC's Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop CS.

What's it like for simple writing? I haven't had a chance to demo any locally yet, I'm wondering how different the feel is.

Oh, and do you have to worry about your own hand pressure on the tablet?

Back