• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting a new drive..what should I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CordialSpam

Well I'm giving my current drive to my cousin..and going to get a bigger drive for myself..I say at least 250gb..what should I get ATM? 2 x SATAII in raid 0? Or just one drive? Extra drive worth the money?

How much real world performance does raid 0 give? how about SATAII? Any difference from SATAI? I saw the review on Anandtech looks like the difference is not that big...

Raid 0 gives little real world improvement and IMO is not worth the time and effort. Sata 2 does not offer any speed improvment, so unless you have a sata 2 board don't waste your time.
Just about any drive you get will be very similar, however if you want absolute performance look at drives from Hitachi, or the Maxtor 16mb cache drives. If you are more noise oriented, look at Seagates.

Do not waste your money on buying two drives because RAID 0 does not give that much of a noticable performance. Get yourself a 250 or whatever you'd like and save some money.

As a recent owner of two 36gb Raptors, I can say its not worth getting unless you spend the extra money and get the 74gb version.

Yes, the maxtor has NCQ, but I believe unless your mobo supports it, you can't use it.

I would get the Maxtor of those three you posted. Not because of the NCQ, but because of the 16MB cache.

Back