• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MS word 2003 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gorilly

A computer at work is getting the following error

'There is not enough memory or disk space to display or print the picture'

This is happening when he opens a document which is under 30mb and has pictures / text / word drawings.

the computer has 512mb DDR ram and also has over 10GB free on the HD... i upped the virtual mem but still no joy.

anyone have any ideas?

Is this the only program which has problems? Or does it give this message for multiple programs?

Scott9027 said:
Is this the only program which has problems? Or does it give this message for multiple programs?

Just word 2003.... do you think it could be the normal.dot template not working right?

You can try deleting your normal.dot file. It will be recreated when Word is opened again. The only issue with this is that if the user has custom settings for Word they will be lost.

But I think the real problem is free Ram. 512K can be used up very quickly. I would look in task manager prior to/during opening a document to determine how much free physical Ram is actually available. Going under 35K is usually the point Windows starts to have problems. If that's occuring a simple memory upgrade should do the trick.

I've seen this problem with files which are corrupt. Try opening it on another computer first. If this dosen't work, attempt to open the file in WORDPAD (not notepad).

Also is this the computer the original computer which created the file?

Lastly... Check your startup items in MSCONFIG reboot and clear out some of your proggies.

If it doesn't work on another computer through another word processing program, or a reboot doesn't fix it.. I'd say you're SOL.

I think the problem lies in the users temp folder. Most probably this one has been filled up so clear that one and you'll be albe to open the lare word document. :)

Back