• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choosing a PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celeron_Phreak

I've got three PSUs I've narrowed my choices down to.

SeaSonic S12-600W

OCZ Powerstream 520W

SilverStone Zeus 520W

Problems with the SilverStone and the SeaSonic that I see is room for them to breath. In the Lian-Li V1000 case, there's about 1/4" of room, if not less, between the top the PSU and the mobo divider, wouldn't a PSU with a "bottom" fan have trouble pulling in enough cool air to keep the thing stable? I don't want to hack this case anymore than I already have, so taking the Dremel to it is out of the question.

Celeron_Phreak said:
I've got three PSUs I've narrowed my choices down to.

SeaSonic S12-600W

OCZ Powerstream 520W

SilverStone Zeus 520W

Problems with the SilverStone and the SeaSonic that I see is room for them to breath. In the Lian-Li V1000 case, there's about 1/4" of room, if not less, between the top the PSU and the mobo divider, wouldn't a PSU with a "bottom" fan have trouble pulling in enough cool air to keep the thing stable? I don't want to hack this case anymore than I already have, so taking the Dremel to it is out of the question.

The V1000 mesh bottom has no problem with air restriction in my system running the Antec TPII550 True Power. The PSU stays nice and cool even with the heavy loads it must contend with. Remember that the PSU on this case mounts "upside down" so that the fan which would usually be on the top ends up on the bottom...

The top PSU fans wouldn't be facing the bottom of the case, they'd be pointing upward towards the motherboard. Virtually no room to breath.

Last edited:
So which would be absolutely the best between the SeaSonic and the OCZ? I'm wanting to lean towards the OCZ because it's got the extremely nice finish to it's case and external adjustable pots, but the SeaSonic looks like it'd be quieter and more efficient, according to reviews I've been reading.

Last edited:
You summed it up pretty good there. If such things as the finish of the PSU matter to you then maybe that is your tie breaker. The powerstream really is pretty sharp looking in person. I think either way you are a happy customer ;)

Celeron_Phreak said:
The top PSU fans wouldn't be facing the bottom of the case, they'd be pointing upward towards the motherboard. Virtually no room to breath.

Are you sure?

case.jpg

The PSU must mount upside down in the V1000... Maybe the Seasonic is different from the Antec, which has the fan in the top which becomes the bottom when mounted in this case...

SeaSonic is what I'm going with. :)

Yes the PSU does mount upside down in the case. Even though the mobo is opposite from traditional towers, the PSU stays the same. :)

Back